Love Eagle Rays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a pretty good Gopro video of 6 going very slow against the current flying by us at Punta Sur. I will try to post it when I get back.
Yes I am one of those Gopro guys but I don't use it near as much as I used to. I guess I need to trade it for a spear lol. I did get a video of a guy getting stuck by a lion fish after he speared it.

Ain't nothing wrong with GoPro's, I just got another one today. The key is to not believe you are capable of chasing one down, it frightens them and they bolt. If you got good video it most likely means you have restraint and self control.

I did get a video of a guy getting stuck by a lion fish after he speared it.

That is one video I want to see!

Cost of spear... $40, cost of dive... $75, seeing a novice hunter stuck by his lion fish kill... Priceless!

Not that I don't want to see every lion fish dead but I too was stung (by a stingray) in the hand when I didn't know much better and I can tell you if you ever get stung by a stingray it is just a matter of time (about 45 minutes as I recall as that tingling sensation travels up your arm or extremity and gradually turns into pain like you''re holding it in a raging fire) until you are almost sick to your stomach and seeking the nearest emergency room.

FYI... If ever stung by a stingray, let the puncture wound BLEED as much as possible, look for the hottest water source you can find to submerge whatever part got stung to neutralize the venom, and head to the ER where they'll give you an immediate shot of morphine. Yup... IT's THAT BAD!

For 2 weeks my hand looked like a softball with 5 short fat sausages protruding from it. At times I thought my skin was going to split open it was so swollen and shiny like a balloon about to pop.

Last edited:
Ain't nothing wrong with GoPro's, I just got another one today. The key is to not believe you are capable of chasing one down, it frightens them and they bolt. If you got good video it most likely means you have restraint and self control.

I am getting better at it. Had another a pair split up when one of them took a uturn after one in our group started going after them.

I was just kidding about the spearing for. I enjoy watching it but don't think I am ready for that much task loading yet.

I need to get my photos/video off my camera from yesterday's dive. We spent about 40 minutes watching an eagle ray feeding. It took no notice of the divers and came back to us twice. Most of the divers just hunkered down to watch but I went up a little bit and the current eventually took me face to face with it...and it never even noticed me. A huge barracuda came and tried to steal its lunch but it flicked its tail at it and took off at warp speed only to return a few minutes later and give us another show. They look like Hoover vacuum cleaners as they look for food. It was a very cool dive.

These were shot at Colombia last trip.
28849400506_fecd4e6c93_o.jpg
28849401046_144e17f4b9_o.jpg
28596175880_6a6958f651_o.jpg

28849401046_c2c497e051_h.jpg

KXjHQj

KXjHF1

KyWSPb

KyWuCs

KTqtEn

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/