Lost Wedding Ring in Seward Park - Need Diver to Find!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryNL:
I couldn't even find a weight belt on my AOW Search & Recovery dive. I suspect students on the first S&R experience are more likely to bury the thing deeper than find it.
I think it all depends on how the buoyancy control is of the students looking. I was cleaning the hull of my dad's boat when I dropped the scraper. I used a S&R technique I learned in my AOW class, and you know what, it WORKED!!! I found it, and was able to finish the job. FWIW, that was my first S&R pattern I had worked and the vis was LOW (18 inches). I think it all depends on HOW you search, and not just "looking" around the bottom. Knowing how objects fall through the water column plays a BIG role in WHERE a search is conducted.

Wish I was near there & I'd give it a shot. I've found 7 rings so far....maybe 3 of them wedding rings. The last one even had a name & date engraved, so I tried to locate the owner to no avail. That last one was just a little round ring of coral until I soaked it in vinegar to dissolve the coral.

I met two guys at the lake and swam out with them to the bouy spot. They were not students..one guy was an environmental scientist and the other had been diving 35 years ex military, commercial and tech diver with a van packed to the hilt (no metal detector though!!!) They marked the heading based on the landmark we swimmers use and followed the bouy chain down. It turned out to be only 25 feet and good vis - not 70 feet! as harbor patrol said. They ran a line to the location where I dropped it (30-40 feet or so from bouy) and began the S&R. Unfortunately they could not get ahold of a metal detector and said that the bottom was suspended silt (about 1 1/2 inches of "soapy, floating silt" They did not find it but were pretty sure that if its anywhere near, a metal detector would pick it up...I dont know the strength of those things, but it would be cool to see if indeed they picked up anything. The bouy has a 550lb block on it and doesnt sway much at all... in fact it was glass when I lost it and glass when we went out. (This is a lake(Washington) btw - but the funny thing is I couldve sworn when I stepped in the last time that there was tidal activity - it seemed "low") Also, dont know what the displacement in 25' would look like with a ring. Anyway, trying to get ahold of a metal detector....

Hi sorry I am in Indiana I have both the metal detector and a want to use it sorry guy.

Back
Top Bottom