Lost my camera on Paradise!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We all use our cameras differently & some try to use 1 card only while others own lots of cards. I happen to have lots but after an event or trip I usually re format them on my computer once all the back ups are done. 4 of my cameras (all considered old & mostly obsolete because of newer models) have dual card slots & I use them. At a radio control event I usually shoot 1200 to 1500 photos per day, and in both large fine jpg & RAW. I can't afford to buy new cards after every event . (it's volunteer work, not paid). I also own a lot of large (& filled) hard drives of back ups.

Well, part of it was that I accidentally downloaded the same pics twice onto the same device, so I found it convenient to only have current pics on the camera. I don’t remember where I heard this - or if it’s a completely fabricated memory - but it seems I watched a Backscatter video and they mentioned formatting before creating new settings? Maybe my brain turned that into ‘format after every download of pics’? Of course now I’m second guessing everything ... the meaning of life ... etc ...

At least I had already downloaded my pics before I lost the camera.
I recorded my whole 14 day trip - photos and video - on a single 128GB card, which I will not erase, probably ever. The photos are hi rez jpeg and the video is 30fps 1080p MP4. I copied the data to the laptop every other day or so.

My wife is the UW photographer, though.

A trip report is forthcoming.

I took the time to look up the life expectancy of images on memory cards or Jump drives. Seems like 10 years or so is what the internet seems is for those left alone but IF you copy them to another device, format the card or jump drive, then put them back on you may get another 10 years of safe storage. All that said who knows how long a good quality hard drive will last if in storage. They are mechanical as well as magnetic devices.

so sorry for you Kimela. Hopefully someone will find it and find you. Stranger things have happened..
Lois and John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom