Lost my camera on Paradise!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems I recall this is a relatively new toy and you might be able to claim under credit card for 90 days. About 7 years ago my gf and I bought new Gopros at the last minute and she lost hers at the end of dive 1, day 1. We got them a day before the trip and she didn't even open hers until the night before the dive. She claimed under credit card and was fully reimbursed. Took a few months though.
AMEX?

I think I’ve had all components for more than 120 days. But I think the following paragraph might be problematic anyway. (Always good to research options. I used my Southwest Priority Rewards card for some of it. )

“Note that purchase insurance is secondary coverage and only kicks in when your primary insurance, such as homeowner’s insurance, has been exhausted.”

It was just a thought. If you don't have primary insurance or the primary insurance doesn't cover it, then it should kick in. When we claimed we did not have to submit anything about homeowner's but it wasn't lost at home.

Ya know, I was thinking about putting our info on our cameras. That will definitely make it easier for honest people to return our things to us, and more quickly. Unfortunately, the folks who are candidates for keeping it or selling it will simply toss the SD card, format the camera, and peel off the labels. I’m still hoping that my camera gets turned into a dive shop and finds its way to me. Or maybe I’ll find it in the next week and a half on paradise. Carlos said that one of his divers found their own Go Pro that had been lost for three days! As the kids said in the movie Angels in the Outfield, “it could happen”!

I hope it makes its way back to you. Earlier this year I went on a dive using my new Hydros Pro for the first time. I was the first one in and people from the boat were talking to me so I got distracted and dropped my GoPro without noticing. I didn’t notice until right before the DM jumped in and it was time to start the dive. We looked for it for a while but I couldn’t hold up the dive so we gave up and did the dive.

i tried to not think about it and ruin my dive and instead looked on the bright side. This was a great excuse to buy a new one. At the end of the dive we returned to the boat and during the surface interval the DMs went snorkeling to look for it (for whatever reason they didn’t allow me to) and one of them miraculously found it. Yeah that guy got a huge tip.

A few questions - assuming the camera rig is negative, how negative? Slowly sinks or drops like a rock? Was this right after entering the water or somewhere in the dive?

Some future advice - we tell our divers on night dives to always turn on their lights before entering and leave on until after exiting. That way if it comes loose and drops to bottom, it's easy to spot.

.... I was thinking about putting our info .... Unfortunately, the folks who are candidates for keeping it or selling it.....
WOW,,,You really don't understand " Dive Karma". It is this extremely powerful force that if you "Do Good" then Good will come to you underwater. And if you "Do Bad" then Bad will happen to you underwater. Diver's world wide don't want to get bent or die underwater and if you would have just helped them a tiny bit by Providing your name and contact info the camera would 99.9% come back to you. How many internet stories have you read where someone posts a picture from a found camera " Do you know these people??" and it goes viral and worldwide till found. Divers Love to Help others!! I have personally tracked down and hand delivered over a dozen items back to divers-And then I post about it. One time because of it, we saved a 3rd diver's life!!

All of my "loose parts" have $5 Walmart dog tags that you see near the registers and they all have the same 3 lines engraved *)SB Board name-cause it's google-ably-unique, *)The word "REWARD", *)cell #.
Wow I understand you're upset about losing a $900 rig,,,,but Dive Karma is very very real and divers will always help other divers.

A few questions - assuming the camera rig is negative, how negative? Slowly sinks or drops like a rock? Was this right after entering the water or somewhere in the dive?

Some future advice - we tell our divers on night dives to always turn on their lights before entering and leave on until after exiting. That way if it comes loose and drops to bottom, it's easy to spot.

My camera had a strobe - and if I had turned it on there would have at least been the little red ready light to spot.

Mai lost it at the start of the dive and I was the first one in the water. My mask strap came over the top of my head and I used both hands to set it properly (assuming my camera was clipped on - because why wouldn’t it be? Duh.)

Other than not making it easier for a finder to find me, I don’t think I have any bad dive karma.

The DM probably has a good idea of the general area to search. Still a lot of ocean though. Who knows? You might have had it clipped and the clip broke or got bumped just wrong. I doubt there are many photographers who have not lost or flooded an expensive camera due to a mistake. I've made a habit of clipping off and tugging hard a few times to make sure it's secure. I sometimes dive the oil platforms in the gulf in 400 feet of water. You drop something, wave bye bye. It'll be on the 20 foot pile of other stuff people have dropped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom