Lost Lake Trip Report - 12/27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PacketSniffer

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Lost Lake is south of Houston along Highway 288 south just 3/4 of a mile past Highway 6. It's on the east side of 288. In fact, it's just almost a stone's throw from Twin Lakes.

Visibility: a whopping 3' ~ 5' :D

Air Temp: 71f (first dive) to 77f (second dive)

Water temp: a blistering 55f (lol)

Cost: $10

Nearby restrooms/food: Subway and gas stations down the street.

Being about the only thing open around the Houston area at this time, Lost Lake will do for diving. My primary purpose was to test out the dry suit I recently purchased. Considering the water temp, I'm very grateful and happy to report that I didn't have any leaks. Although, keeping warm even at 15' was a challenge. I did two dives; one of 45 minutes and the second at 60 minutes. This was with Henderson 3mm Gold Core wet gloves and no Thinsulate on my feet. Needless to say, I'm getting dry gloves and Thinsulate booties ASAP. ...lol. I couldn't feel my hands when I got back to the surface. On the first dive, I used just a Andy's Thinsulate undergarment and was cold. On the second dive, I doubled up. I was warmer in the core area with two undergarments (fleece and Thinsulate) but will reevaluate once I get dry gloves and Thinsulate booties. My 7mm hood turned out to be perfect.

Pictures are always worth a thousand words. So, I've attached some for your amusement. There are a few shots of the topside area around Lost Lake. Then a few showing the awesome visibility. I'm 5'10" and took a shot of my fins while I was horizontal. As you can see, the visibility is breathtaking (LOL). Another shot is the deck rail on the platform. The platform is not that big (8'x8' ?) but the top rail disappears quickly. Another great shot is looking up at the buoy marking the platform. Lastly, there's a great shot of my dive buddies. :D

Oh, and be careful if you use the stairs on the west side of the lake. They're a bit, uuhhhhhmmmm flexible. lol

Richard

MichaelBaranows:
I was told that people dive at Lost Lake but I thoult it was a joke. I am glad you came out alive. I was told by a guy that a few years ago he went diving and when he surfaced some teenagers were shooting turtles.

You would be amazed as I that there was a group of divers (about 12) that were out there all day long on Christmas. I have no idea who it was. I was told this by the man that manages (owns?) the lake.

Oh, and there was an instructor out there from Sea Sports Scuba with a student when I arrived. They were just finishing up.

I could imagine kids would go around shooting near the lake. It's in a rural setting. However, I would doubt the manager of the lake would let that carry on knowing there are divers in the lake. FWIW, he did come by to check on me during my SI.

Richard

Do they still have the barnyard animals? We quite diving out there because of the urine and feces runoff from the barn/coral area and the potbellied pigs, ducks, and goats that walked among your stuff leaving deposits all over the place.

Dee:
Do they still have the barnyard animals? We quite diving out there because of the urine and feces runoff from the barn/coral area and the potbellied pigs, ducks, and goats that walked among your stuff leaving deposits all over the place.

LOL...well, it has been whittled down to just a jackass. It's an interesting setting.

Richard

My Upcoming Dive Trips

01.01.06 - CSSP: Annual Polar Bear Dive
01.06.06 - Comal River (tentative)
01.28.06 - Valhalla ICBM Missle Silo
02.03.06 - Flower Gardens [Hammerhead Migration]
02.16.06 - Florida Chickdiver Event (USS Spiegel Grove, USCG Duane, & more)
02.25.06 - Rescue Class Open Water
??.??.?? - Puget Sound (March?: Ski & Dive trip)

Love the trip report. It looks like the lake is a must dive :)

Richard
Good to see you found lost lake. I think your entry would of been a little bit more sturdy if you would of went to the NE end of the lake and made a shore entry as I mentioned to you. The Lake is down about 5' so the stairs are a bit unsafe for getting in & out of the water...The good thing about the 3-5 vis at Lost lake was you did not sport a 3 hr drive to get to it. You mentioned you were going to Get yourself a 400 grm thinsulate UG. I wear one and pull off 90 to 120 minute dives wearing 5mm gloves with the fingers cut off to handle reels and arrows and my hands never get cold in 54 degree water. Keep the core toasty and the hands will stay warm.
Are you doing some training with Chickdiver?

Anyhoo- Have a Safe trip up to Terrell
Dave

ps: If you do not have a P valve in your drysuit. Get one,when you do you will understand.

Dave,

I know you mentioned to me the best entry location. Some others were there already on the west side so thought I would see who it was. The entry didn't bother me. I'm more hearty than that. :D I was just throwing out a warning for others. I appreciate all the info you sent my way regarding Lost Lake.

Yes, I wouldn't have been too thrilled about driving that far for that kind of visibility. It's certainly convenient to have Lost Lake nearby.

"Chickdiver" - No, it's not her but a group of single women (they started out single anyway..lol) that have self labelled themselves.

Luckily, the P-valve came with the suit so I didn't have to mess with an install. I'm searching for catheters now for the Polar Bear trip. I didn't realize that catheters are an item that are typically not stocked until I went looking for them. Do you know any place(s) in Houston that stock the Rochester Medical Widebands?

Thanks,

Richard

My Upcoming Dive Trips
01.01.06 - CSSP: Annual Polar Bear Dive
01.06.06 - Comal River (tentative)
01.28.06 - Valhalla ICBM Missle Silo
02.03.06 - Flower Gardens [Hammerhead Migration]
02.16.06 - Florida Chickdiver Event (USS Spiegel Grove, USCG Duane, & more)
02.25.06 - Rescue Class Open Water
??.??.?? - Puget Sound (March?: Ski & Dive trip)

PacketSniffer:
Dave,

I know you mentioned to me the best entry location. Some others were there already on the west side so thought I would see who it was. The entry didn't bother me. I'm more hearty than that. :D
I take it you were divng a single.:05:

Anyways if you cannot find any WB caths here in town I can leave 3 up at Universal scuba for you. Pick them up and give Craig a 5.00 bill
That will get you thru the drought till yours arrive.The ones I have are Rochchester medium 29mm..... Let me know

Richard
Word to the wise. Call up to Terrell or better yet go online and get a HONEST vis report before driving 5 hrs to Terrell Texas and spending $40 entry.
We went to the 2nd annual PB Dive in 2003 and it had rained a few days before, vis was 5-7' at best. The locals thought our cheese slid off the cracker for us coming all the way up from Houston.The park is alot like Twin lakes. We did however win Longest DRIVE thats me with the NY yankees hat getting the stuffed bear award and my buddy John won the longest DIVE 110 minutes, he hedged his bet with some argon. It may still be a record. All and all if Vis is up to par it is worth a onetime shot from Houston
But only if vis is good.

http://www.clearspringsscubapark.com

When you get back from Puget Sound, please give me a trip report. I think the wolf eel is a interesting creature.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom