Lost: fins and mask, Nicolas Canyon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rainbowtrout22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

Had a less than great exit on my first shore dive yesterday (July 9). Got caught under a wave and got my fins and mask ripped right off (despite fins firmly over the forearm and mask firmly on the face, and ducking under the wave...AGH).

If anyone should find:

--bright yellow Dive Rite fins, size small
--red frame mask with a neoprene mask strap.

Please let me know!

(this was my first dive post-certification. I believe it is what they call "a learning experience." I loved those fins though.).

Also a thank you to our great local buddy Melvin, who put up with our newbie clutziness very gracefully, and attempted to find said fins!!!

Hey there,

I think yer buddy Melvin came into the shop yesterday. Had a guy come in and tell me his friend lost his fins and his mask over at Nicholas Canyon. This can't be a coincidence, it must have been you! Anyway, sorry to hear about your bad experience. I lost an Apollo Bio Fin about 2 weeks ago at Deer Creek. It sucks, but there's really nothing you can but just replace the lost items.

Also, in regards to beach diving. If you're new to diving in general and especially beach diving, you have to take some time to really plan out what you're doing. Beach diving is not easy, at least not here in SoCal. Heavy surf, surge, currents, etc... all have to be dealt with. In your case, I doubt it had anything to do with "clutziness" but rather, inexperience.

Here's a couple of tips for your next beach dive.

1. Make sure you know the surf conditions before you head out. Watch the surf, and not just on the day you plan to dive, but for several days prior as well. Not only will the surf affect entries and exits, but also your visibility during the dive.

2. Learn to time sets. Enter and exit at the safest moment, in between sets.

3. Don't take your fins off while still in the water in the surf line. If you can, walk backwards up the beach with your fins still on. If the surf is high, keep your second stage in your mouth in case you get knocked over. Shuffle all the way up the beach out of any danger, then take your fins off. Sure, sand gets everywhere, but at least you'll still have them.

4. Don't be afraid to call off a dive if conditions aren't perfect for your experience level. It's never worth it. Beach diving is fun at times, but a lot harder when getting in and out.

5. Practice!

Good luck.

Dan

Verry well stated. Only thing i dont really agree with is walking with fins on out of the water backwards. Only because every time I tryed to do this I ended up falling in the waves :D

Verry well stated. Only thing i dont really agree with is walking with fins on out of the water backwards. Only because every time I tryed to do this I ended up falling in the waves :D

True, I just like to take off the fins when I'm able to stand in the water, then make a mad dash for the shore.

True, I just like to take off the fins when I'm able to stand in the water, then make a mad dash for the shore.

Mad dash is an understatement. The dash is easer said then done :) expecialy when there is a slope of soft sand giving out under you.

Hi all,

Thanks for the tips, it's all a learning curve at this point.

CaptainKidd: Yes, I can certainly see how it can be challenging. One of the reasons we were so happy to have someone experienced with us. He had taken note of and explained to us how one counts the sets of waves, etc. We'd also gotten on the SoCal beach email list to check on viz, etc. (it was about 5 feet, maybe less, couldn't see the bottom if you were kneeling on it--I know because I ran into it since I couldn't see it).

We ended up getting separated briefly from Melvin and called the dive due to the viz. Keeping track of buddy: ok. Keeping track of 2 buddies in that, not something we were yet ready for.

I have heard two schools of thought on when to take off one's fins--I took mine off right when I could stand up, and made the "mad dash," just not fast enough. I wonder about tripping over them when trying to stand back up in the shallow surf? I suppose it would help with the issue of losing them, but getting one's head back above water after getting pinned by a wave?

If you get knocked down by a wave. Just make sure you have upper & lower body strength get on all fours and when there is a lowl try and stand up if that does not work crawl out of the water :)

No shame in crawling out on all fours.

I used to take my fins off once my feet could touch the ground. Until I lost my fin. After speaking with my DM instructor about it, he said he has OW students walk up the beach before removing fins for that reason. So I switched to this method. You can still crawl with fins on, if you need to. Yes, it does take some getting used to, but at the end of the day, I like having my gear with me. Replacing one fin wasn't cheap, and something I'd rather not do again, if I can help it.

I know all about low viz, that's for sure. In fact, if I get 5 feet on a dive, I consider myself lucky! LOL. I've been on plenty of dives where the viz was less than 2 feet and in some cases, less than a foot. Those dives to me, are nav-practice dives. :) Not really fun, I know, but still good practice. That's the thing with beach diving. It's less expensive, and you have plenty of options for dive sites... but conditions are usually on the poorer side in comparison to boat diving.

Keep at it. Practice, practice and practice some more. It will get a bit easier as you gain experience over time.

Cheers!

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom