Lost diver rescued - Rathlin Island, Northern Ireland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Next stop, Scotland...?

Diver airlifted to hospital after being rescued off coast of Rathlin Island - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
A diver has been airlifted to hospital after being rescued off the coast of Rathlin Island.

The diver was taken two Craigavon Area Hospital on Sunday afternoon where he is in a stable condition.

Portrush lifeboat volunteers were deployed shortly after 12.30pm following reports that the man, who had been diving a wreck with a group, was missing on the east side of Rathlin Island.
In a statement posted on their website, the RNLI said the search lasted approximately two hours when a local vessel located the diver four miles from his original location at approximately 2.30pm.
Red Bay RNLI helicopter and inshore boat, which were about to start a training exercise, were diverted to the incident.
Sligo Coast Guard helicopter was also scrambled to the scene while a number of local boats from Rathlin Island and Ballycastle joined the operation.
Speaking after the incident, Portrush RNLI Coxswain Des Austin said: "We are so relieved this afternoon that after almost two hours of searching the diver has been located safe and well.
"This was a multi-agency search and rescue effort where the emergency services were assisted greatly by a number of local vessels."
He added: "I would like to commend the diving party for raising the alarm as soon as they noticed one of their group had gone missing and praise the community effort that ensured this man was brought safely back to shore."

After reading this post, I am curious if anyone has had experience with devices like the Nautalis Lifeline radio.

After reading this post, I am curious if anyone has had experience with devices like the Nautalis Lifeline radio.
Some do. I carry a PLB in a canister, and certainly would want it up there. Day to day, I won't leave the house without my PLB. It's so cheap, but may come in handy someday.

I carry a Nautilus Lifeline on every dive.

Haven't needed it in a "mayday" situation, but I have used it to communicate with dive boats for pickup.

Back
Top Bottom