Lost Diver Interview

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have been doing alot of praying and depending on just how big the cave system is, and how far in I was I would have either been waiting for a rescue, if it was a small cave (sounds like it from the story), or I would have been getting myself killed trying to dig out. If there were bats then I would assume that there was an opening and I would search for it and then try to widen it. Not much of a plan, but about all I can think of.
Of course this is all assuming that I got dragged into the cave by some crazy Navy SEAL or something, because I am nowhere near stupid enough to try something like that.
Actually now that I think about it I still dive with a spare air, so I would just swim out using that. :D

you read does not mention that victims thanked their rescuers it does not mean that it didn't happen. I am sure they did and were very grateful to them and thanked them over and over.

The human interest was in the calm that was displayed in the face of almost certain death which they attributed to their faith.
It gave them the hope of rescue but the peace of knowing God was with them if help didn't arrive. May I have that calm and peace when death is staring me down...

You got to wonder if the guy learned anything by his experince. Or if he well just go do it again.

Originally posted by kodiak
You got to wonder if the guy learned anything by his experince. Or if he well just go do it again.
HARRIS: Mark, listen, are you going to count on this blessing and do this again, or what?

ORR: No, I'm -- the only time I'll go into a cave again now that I'm more knowledgeable about the dangers would only be if I were certified in cave diving.

It was the rescue team that pulled him out....no doubt, and I can't imagine this guy isn't incredibly grateful.

I think his point though is that he believes God kept him alive to be pulled out at all. That was kinda the crux of the whole thing...the rescue diver being surprised to have found him alive to pull out.

It also didn't sound to me like he will be repeating his stupidity anytime soon....I'm also curious as to whether he will pursue his cave certification.

My nomination for most useful film ever is....."A Desceptively Easy Way to Die" produced by PADI/DSAT and staring Lamar Hires. It's all of about nine min. and scares the daylights out of people. I starting showing it to all my students when a new diver returned from a trip and told me of being led through a wreck (outside of the lighted) at 90 ft by a DM. The DM had the only light in the group and no lines were used. Most surfaced with little air left.

I think lots of us have gone into a given situation freakin' morons but come out of it a helluva lot wiser and hopefully no worse for the wear. This guy is no exception.

I'd be willing to bet a 12 pack that there have been lots of non-christians go into similar situations as this guy, but I'll bet they have all converted over somewhere along the line.

There's an old saying in aviation that there are no aetheists onboard during a thunderstorm. I'm thinking that applies to diving equally well. Whether it be caving or just any time when we find ourselves in a place where we shouldn't be.

Originally posted by wvrotorhead

......... there have been lots of non-christians go into similar situations as this guy, but I'll bet they have all converted over somewhere along the line.

There's an old saying in aviation that there are no aetheists onboard during a thunderstorm. I'm thinking that applies to diving equally well. Whether it be caving or just any time when we find ourselves in a place where we shouldn't be.

A friend of mine calls these types "Teabag Christians",

They only pray when they're in hot water. :wink:

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

How would you have reacted if you were in Orr's position? [/B]

Exactly the same way he did - sit there and believe that a possibly imaginary entity would get me out...

Except in my case the possibly imaginary entity I'd be thinking off was the search and rescue guys rapidly closing in on my position. I've never seen them, but I believe they exist...

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom