Lost consciousness - Zenobia wreck, Cyprus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Fortunately, his dive buds saved him...

A diver, who on Thursday morning lost consciousness in Zenobia wreck is now well, Phileleftheros reported.

The man, who was accompanied by an instructor and was part of a five-member group, dived into the sea area of the wreck, at a depth of 28 meters. When he resurfaced, he lost consciousness and was given oxygen and water.

Immediately the Search and Rescue Coordination Center was informed and a speedboat of the Port Police was sent to transport the diver to an ambulance.

He was taken to Famagusta General Hospital where doctors found he had symptoms of caisson disease.

I was there leading a dive group and saw him on the shotline at the 5 metre point as i came up for my safety stop then waited for his group to get back onboard before I could. I had just got on the boat deck and walked past him when suddenly there was a commotion and calls for help, and he was lying on the deck as though he had fainted.
The boat captain responded immediately along with volunteers and he was carried into the cabin where he was treated until the MP boat arrived and took him to shore and he was conscious and talking at this time and seemed quite chirpy.

It would be interesting to know the full dive profile especially since I saw him with his group doing a 5 metre stop, which is standard for the NDL dives there.

It was a great response from the Captain and everyone involved and it's comforting to know that when diving there assistance is very quickly at hand.

I am just relieved that he is okay.

...caisson disease.

You don't usually see that term used in diving.

Or the local term directly translates to that. I thought it interesting.
I'll ask one of my Greek buddies this weekend.

You don't usually see that term used in diving.

In English; in e.g. Russian it's "caisson disease" provided the reporter read books.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom