Lost at sea signaling kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On June 4, 2004, my buddy and I found ourselves lost at sea. It is painful and embarrassing to tell this story, but I do it because I learned a great deal that day. I hope that by sharing the story that others may also learn without experiencing. What caused this was of our own making. We basically had to do a free decompression ascent with no anchor line. 45 minutes after leaving the wreck, we surfaced, and no boat in site 42 nm offshore.....and it was getting dark. I was still on my 15 ft. stop when my buddy popped the surface. I saw him spin around 360 degrees above me and throw out his arms in frustration. I popped the surace, and said,
"Crow*** we are ******". My buddy had noticed the same shark I did on our 30 foot stop and reminded me by responding, "Yeah, when is feeding time." We started inflating safety sausages, blowing whistles, and trying to stay on top of the water as much as we could. I was already cold, shivering, when I surfaced. I figured that we would be spending the night out there waiting for the Coastees to arrive, and Jeff and I tried to keep our spirits up. We were actually laughing at stuff that in hindsight was not very funny. Fortunately for us, 2 other experienced divers(My brother and Scott Corbett) were on the boat, and finally realized that something was amiss, and came looking for us. After 2.5 hours they found us, and got us back on terra boata. When the accident happened, I had the following: lift bag(lost it during the dive could have used it to mark our position on the surface while we were decompressing),reels, dive lights 2, strobes 2, whistle, and safety sausage. My dive buddy actually had 3 waterproof aerial flares, which we shot 2. None of that stuff helped them find us, the GPS on the boat and good seamanship is what found us......but if they didn't find us, and we had to rely on the Coast Guard at night................when I got home, I bought a lot more equipment....and it is all very compact and goes with me on every dive.

Signal Mirror
Aerial Flares (waterproof)6 buy them at any boat store and we have had them 140fsw and tested them and they still worked, but they don't have any guarantees.
2 Strobes (Makes the aerial search at night a lot more plausible for the Coastees)
Flashlights (that is how the C-130 found a diver recently off Frying Pan Shoals, they saw his dive light.)
2 Safety sausages they work well for added bouyancy, but tend to lay over in the wind like we had that day.
Dive Alert (in case you are close enough to your boat) Whistles wear you out blowing on them for 2 hours.......and the Dive Alert uses what ever is left of your gas.....
Dye Marker 2 tubes (one green and one orange)
I wear a bigger wing with more lift capacity to get me as far out of the water as I can.

Before going on a dive, I file a float plan with my wife..It has the equipment I carry listed, the color of my suit (black), and our anticipated time of arrival back at the docks, our destination for the day, and any alternative destination. My wife is instructed to call the Coast Guard if she doesn't hear from me by the anticipated time.

The biggest thing we do now to correct the mistake that led to this whole fiasco....is to change the way we anchor to the wrecks.....to tie in. There is always that risk when diving, of being sent adrift on a sea not so full of bliss, but it is the diving that draws us back. We can do our best to prepare for the worst, but we must also do our best to not have to use all of that stuff we carry for that Oh S*** situation. When I go out on charters, and see divers with just a BC and Regs, no lights, no knives, no signals, I am frustrated and concerned. I hope that all divers who venture offshore will make an emergency signal kit. The kits are small and can fit into a pocket. Just because it is a day dive, you should still carry lights for emergencies.

Hope this helps someone to realize they need to be safer.

Tom

Glad you posted this here too Tom!

fpsndiver:
Dye Marker 2 tubes (one green and one orange)

Tom, what dye marker do you carry? I still haven't found a dive-safe, compact, dye marker that I'm happy with.

lairdb:
Tom, what dye marker do you carry? I still haven't found a dive-safe, compact, dye marker that I'm happy with.

I bought the OMS dye marker. They encase it in a plastic test tube with a screw on lid....haven't had any problems with the stuff. LeisurePro.com has them, and they are pretty cheap.

See this same thread titled "Lost at sea" in the accidents forum under close calls and near misses. I posted some pictures of the dye marker and flares there.

Tom

This page has some good solid rescue gouge on it:
http://www.equipped.com/signal.htm

Instead of using dye which can leak, dissipate too quickly, or irritate your eyes or skin, consider this:
http://www.rescuestreamer.com/
I did SAR in the Navy and have been twice rescued at sea while diving. Because I usaed to dive in some wicked currents in Hawaii, I wore a fluorescent orange sweatshirt over my wetsuit so the other people in my groups could ping on me right away. Doing a search dive, I got caught in the Molokai Express and went out to sea. I took off my sweatshirt and attached to the short hooked pole spear that I used to steady on the bottom in the rip. A guy out fishing over my visible horizon saw it and got me.
The second time was when a Marine managed to rip the entire starter cord right off our dive team outboard on a drift dive. As he flew backwards, he released the cord and handle so we got to watch it arc gracefully through the air, out of reach, into 130' of water. I chased the damn thing down but it had too much of a head start on me. Back onboard, I used a camping steel signal mirror which caught someone's eye miles away. We couldn't get too mad at the jarhead - it was our fault for letting him near the engine in the first place.

That Rescue Streamer is a really good thing if you're out at sea. After an hour of flying SAR over an ocean, everything looks the same, but that straight line of plastic on the ocean is a real eyecatcher. Your tanks make great radar reflectors especially if Navy aircraft are looking for you. Their low-frequency search radars have a great range, and the metal pops out like a periscope. Try to float them as high as you can.
We used to tape soda cans together, weight one end, and drop them at sea off Siberia to mess with the Soviets. They had periscope blips all over the place while our subs were doing God-knows-what up there.

fpsndiver:
I bought the OMS dye marker. They encase it in a plastic test tube with a screw on lid....haven't had any problems with the stuff. LeisurePro.com has them, and they are pretty cheap.

Yeah, I've got the OMS tubes, and they're very robust to carry; I'm not as confident in the duration when used. PainsWessex Australia makes a product called SeaMark that quotes an hour's useful life (but the package does seem a little more easily punctured.)

I've thought about the Rescue Streamer that Tom mentions, and it does address the duration thing -- my only hesitation is that it doesn't just scream "emergency in progress!" the way a dye slick does. If a pilot with no idea there's an SAR going on, or even before it's activated, is zipping over and sees the orange stripe, are they going to think "uh-oh, inspect that", or are they going to think "odd object in sea; ignore"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom