Lost and DM nowhere to be found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:confused: Jimlap, why do you think he was jeopardizing his buddy by continuing the dive? They're both certified. They stuck together as a buddy team. What more do you want them to do? I don't get the sense there were any problems with currents and viz that would force them to abort the dive.

Jim, why the hostilities? The blah blah blah was just to cut out the whole speech for the sake of writing this. I wondered if someone was going to harp on that.

Obviously I listened. Apparently my buddy and I were the only ones to listen. I am the absolute last person to say "I know, I know" and tune out. ESPECIALLY to a much more experienced person (be it diver, supervisor, boss, whomever).

Remember, I posted this as a learning experience. Am I at fault to expect a DM to keep a careful eye on two brand new divers? I guess I am. But isn't that the sign of a good DM? Otherwise it's just jump in and I'll meet you back at the boat. I don't know what the rules and responsibilities are for DMs. I won't pretend to. But it was a great learning experience.

I have gone on dives where much more experienced divers have gone off on their own and have gone on dives where divers are expecting to be shown the sites by a DM. If I was to hold up a group for whatever reason then I'd say to go ahead and I'd call off my dive or try to catch up eventually(with my buddy of course).

Look, I learned a valuable lesson that dive. And it also proved the motto CYA. I believe everyone knows that one. But I do not believe I am wrong in being pissed when I was told the plan is to meet at spot x and we all go together and then just ignore the plan after wards. What is the point of 'plan your dive, dive your plan' then?

Citykid,

I think JimLap jumped on you a bit harshly there, but it happens. In terms of a DM, I had one in OW class, I had one somewhere around dive 40, and again around dive 75. Those are the only DM's I've ever seen. The guy around dive 40 asked if we wanted tanks set up (I declined), asked if he could do anything (I was ok), he set the anchor and retrieved it, and that was it. I thought that was perfect! He did exactly what I needed to enjoy my dive. Of course we were about to drop to 105ft on a wreck, but hey... Second DM was new to DMing, did pretty much the same thnigs, but stayed on the boat the whole time. We had a nice chat during the surface interval. Again, a wreck dive, but this time the bottom was 212. We were only doing about 120-130 that day.

So what does a DM do? Seems to me like they set up the dive parameters and attempt to assist those that need help. I learned to dive without one, and honestly, am glad I did. The reliance some people seem to have on these people is astounding. I am not saying that necessarily about you, you're a new diver.

Best thing I can tell you is to get a dive briefing pre-dive, get the site and dive parameters explained to you, splash and have a good time. If a DM is there, terrific. If not, no big deal. I have yet to be around the type of DM that feels they need to run the show. I don't look forward to my first encounter with one.

Generally, on a DM led dive the responsibility of the DM is to act as a guide - not to babysit the divers at all. Certainly when I'm on a trip I expect the DM to lead the dive and point out all the interesting stuff I might otherwise miss (and their tip is generally dependent on how well they do this :) ).

The responsiblity for keeping a group together is shared between all divers - the DM included. It sounds like the main problem here was that the DM did not make sufficiently clear to all divers what the plan was, or some divers did not pay enough attention; though again, the DM should make sure everyone understands the plan - if they then deviate from it they are on their own.

Sorry if that seemed harsh. But I do not mince words. I also should not post on topics such as this after an 11 hour shift with my helper gone. If you felt you were for a second lost and wondering where everybody went the correct course of action would to have been to do what annasea said. Go up and find out. What would have been the outcome if there had been a problem and instead of taking the group down a different route they had decided to abort. You would have been looking for people who were not even in the water. And you stated you were furious. Not a good state of mind to try and dive. The anger and adrenalin could have affected your judgement, air comsumption, and ability to navigate. especially in 40 ft vis when you are expecting alot better considering you were in the tropics. It is not too much to expect a DM to keep an eye on new divers if you have communicated to him that you expect it and all parties are agreed. If however you just tell him you are new and leave it at that then he has to make a call. Does he watch you or try to keep an eye on everyone in the group? I try to keep an eye on everyone when I'm acting as a DM. However as certified divers the ultimate responsibility lies with the buddy pairs. If I'm with new students it's one thing, but if you've got your card I have to trust that you have the ability to be responsible for your own safety. I'm a guide for everyone, not a baby sitter for one pair. Unless you contract with me for that service. In the keys they do not put a DM in the water and I like it that way. I prefer not to be led around. In fact most of my reef dives on vacation were solo after the op determined I knew what I was doing. I'd run across people from the boat every so often and that was cool. I congratulate you on how you found everyone and had a good time. But it really gets to me when divers expect the DM to be all things at all times to everyone. Remember that down there ultimately the only one responsible for your safety unless you specifically contract otherwise is you. I do not rely on DM's, buddy's, other divers, even instructors. They are the last resort should I not be able to handle the situation myself.

In California, DMs stay on the boat as well. I like it that way. When I was newly certified, I immediately took Adventures in Diving so that I would gain more experience diving with an instructor watching. I mean really, how much 'diving' is there in OW?

My vacation dive rules:
-Be responsible for your own gear.
-Be responsible for you own profile.
-Tell the DM if you want to see something specific (seahorse/ frogfish).
-And tip really well if he finds you one.
-Remember the DM is usually there to handle emergencies and often to make sure you maintain good 'reef responsibility'.
-If you want something specific from the DM discuss it in the dive shop prior to the dive and be willing to pay for it.
-Have fun.

Life is a learning experience. We all make mistakes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom