loss of integrated weight system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got the new Mares Dragonfly with integrated weights and they are held in without velcro, just a button latch. They are very easy to get out, not so easy to get back in while in the water. Overall, I love this BC.

I been reading this post and other posts relating on the topic of integrated weight bc?s, and I have been disciplining myself biting my tongue not to say anything, but I must say this, after which I will get some bricks thrown at me. That?s ok.
Back in basic and every rescue course, what are the actions to take when on the surface with loss of floatation for any reason? When in trouble staying afloat, 1. Inflate BC and 2. Drop the weights! Right? Same goes when buddy has the same problem, what commands are we to give? Same two commands.
From chin water level to mouth under water it takes just 2-3 seconds. So the weights do really need to be dropped pretty quick, while at the same time trying to inflate the bc.
Try this next time. Float on the surface, grasp the inflator and with the other hand drop the weights, fast. See how long it takes.
My God, Velcro, clips, buckles, home made secure devices? What?s next? Ducktape?
A diver on the surface can?t see the weight release handles whatever the system is, not in clear water, not in low vis water.
Think safety, would you survive?

Hi!

I found the latch system a little ackward at first. Now that I'm used to it (didn't take many dives for that!), I find it easy to pull and release under water, by feel. I routinely pass the weight pockets up before coming out of the water on a boat dive.

In an underwater situation, I could easily get them back into the BC pockets and secure them with the velcro closure, but I'm not sure that I could easily latch 'em up again. I'm confident that that should be more than sufficient enough to finish a dive if this situation arises.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom