loss of integrated weight system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterpik

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a BC. I have looked at the Sea Quest Diva, Sherwood Luna and the Oceanic Isla. I was a little concerned about the Luna and Isla they both had a system where the integrated weight belt was not only velcroed but had a latch system that held it in place. The Luna was hard for me to pull out of the pocket but even more impossible to hook back to the buckle if you didn't have the BC off.

The Isla was much easier to release the weights and I could hook it back up with the jacket on. But you still had to pull very hard to remove it. The sales guy said the reason they started making them that way was because after much use the velcro lost its stick and people stared loosing their weight belts. I see how this could be a very serious problem. Yet at the same time I think your weight system needs to be a little easier to remove. So I was wondering :

1. If loss of integrated weight systems was a problem after much use.
2. Has anyone ever used this new system.(I think he told me this was new for the Isla and the Luna has had it for a while).
3. Also if you have used it. Does the integrated weight system get easier to release.

Thanks for your help.

I have the Oceanic Isla BC. It's 15 months old. I really like the weight system with the latch and not just the velcro.
In the begining I admit, I had the latch part wrong. The weights fell out. Once I figured it out ..with the help of a girlfriend that also has the same BC, I love it.
The weights are much more secure then just the velcro. With a tug they come out, and I don't think it's hard to do at all.
If I had to put the weights on underwater with the latch, I would need help. But no help to pull them out.
Did that help answer your questions?

Natasha- Was that something that got easier with use? I found them dificult to remove but it may be because it was brand new.
Thanks for your input.

With repeated use, the velcro wears and accidental loss of weight pockets occurs. I've found a few around the reefs of Cayman already, so I'd suggest looking at the retention system carefully.

Our Sherwood rep mentioned that all of the new Sherwood BCs have a redesigned retention system that has no velcro. They viewed velcor as not being suitable enough for the long term, so they eliminated it.

Do you mean was it easier to pull the weights out with use?
I think so. The more I wear it, and the more comfortable I become with it, the easier it is to use. I think it's a little more flexable now too.
The only thing I'm not happy about is the one strap tank holder. I'm having another strap put on it, so I have double support.
Let me know what you end up doing.

The latch sounds like a great idea. I have lost my weights before on an old Mares BC. After that I too scared to use the integrated weights on that BC - and started using my old weight belt.

Thanks for the input on the weights falling out. I have always used a weight belt so the integrated system is new to me. Sounds like the clips are worth considering.

Natasha- I did mean do the weights get easier to remove with use. Thanks for replying. I too was a little concerned about only having 1 tank strap. Is adding a strap easy for your LDS to do?

My husband is a diver, and is also a Mr. Fix It Man. He's doing it ..and will get it done before my next dive trip ..he promises ..:wink:
Glad I could help.

The BC I wear with my drysuit has the velcro secured weight pockets and I had the experience of losing one side. What an event. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't stay down until we surfaced and I realized one side was empty. What an expense to replace the weight as well as the pouch.

Just recently I purchased a BC for warm water diving and went with the Sherwood Luna with the new weight release system. I acutally have gotten used to the release. I'm not sure that getting the weight pockets back in with the BC on should be a concern, but maybe I'm wrong. I always put the pocketsin before I don the BC. I found the Luna to be so comfortable.

i have a SeaQuest Pro QD+ which I believe has the identical velcro system to the Diva. I'm told that the velcro is designed to wear out on the detachable weight pocket rather than the patch on the main body of the BC. Either way with a velcro system you need to look after the velcro and insert it properly before diving.

For a comparison look up Rodale's Scubadiving at www.scubadiving.com

Back
Top Bottom