Looks like I found a good place to take my diving to the next level

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I have been vacation divers since we got certified while we lived in Michigan. I finally found a decent job in Florida and moved here about 3 years ago. Earlier this year we bought our own gear and are now ready to take our diving to the next level. I was searching for some info and came across ScubaBoard. Wow, what a great resource this is.

Thanks for the chance to be a part of this great community!

Welcome to both of you. There is lots of good stuff here.

Living in FL you should have lots of opportunities to dive. Florida offers both great ocean and fresh water dives. So plenty of opportunities to get wet in warm water.

I imagine that living in FL you will want to get cave and wreck certified. Florida is has lots of overhead diving opportunities such as caverns and caves. Caves, Caverns and wrecks are all overhead environments that require special training to do safely. Swimming into the crystal clear waters of a cave a new (or old) diver may be deceived into thinking, great, I can do this. Then they turn around and see for the first time the silt they have kicked up and they can't see the exit (or perhaps remember which tunnel they should take) with tragic results.

Enjoy the diving in the warm waters of Florida. Dive often and dive safely and keep a spot on the couch for when I am in town. ;-)

Welcome to SB! You're right; this is a fantastic resource. I was sent here when I was a very new diver, and I learned a ton by going through the archives. I found the "near misses" forum particularly educational -- it's a great compendium of what NOT to do. But there are also superb discussions of weighting, trim, propulsion techniques, gas management, decompression strategies, and, of course . . . GEAR!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom