Looking to upgrade ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm thinking to finally retire the Casio point-n-shoot and move to something with a bit more capability. My wish list would include:

- something I can take to 200 feet
- something that will accept wet lenses ... in particular, a WAL
- at least one, and possibly two decent strobes
- something that doesn't take a Master's Degree in Geekology to figure out how to use

Ideally it would be portable enough to fit inside a moderate-sized Pelican case (for travel).

Budget ... for now ... would be around $1500. This probably won't get me everything I want, but it's what I have for an initial setup that I can then build on over time.

If this were your wish list, what would YOU be looking at?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm thinking to finally retire the Casio point-n-shoot and move to something with a bit more capability. My wish list would include:

- something I can take to 200 feet
- something that will accept wet lenses ... in particular, a WAL
- at least one, and possibly two decent strobes
- something that doesn't take a Master's Degree in Geekology to figure out how to use

Ideally it would be portable enough to fit inside a moderate-sized Pelican case (for travel).

Budget ... for now ... would be around $1500. This probably won't get me everything I want, but it's what I have for an initial setup that I can then build on over time.

If this were your wish list, what would YOU be looking at?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm currently looking for the same criteria, except for the 200' part, but I would expect my housing to be rated substantially deeper than I plan to dive.

Presently I'm considering a Canon A590 in an IkeLite housing, with a Inon D-2000 strobe. I also considered the now discontinued A570, which is almost the same camera, and there is a cheaper canon housing available for it. It is available on Ebay, but I expect will bet rapidly harder to find which could be a problem in the event of a flood.

The A590 is a pretty basic point and shoot with full manual control if you want it and of course full automatic if you don't want it. The camera is reasonably cheap to replace in the event of a flood, and a current model so it should be readily available for some time to come.

The IkeLite housing is rated 200' and the only option for this camera that I could find. It has a 67mm port to accept the standard IkeLite and Inon wet lenses.

The Inon D-2000 appears to have the best reputation for it's version of "TTL" for compact cameras. And plenty of manual options if you want to get a bit geeky.

I'm particularly attracted to the canon cameras because I can get the CHDK software to enhance the capabilities of the camera, but that is optional and requires at least a B.Sc. in Geekology.

Shopping around the internet I'm expecting to pay ~1300 for this setup including a tray and strobe arm.

My main concerns are the battery life of AA's in cold water and using this setup with bulky dry gloves. I'm about to post a thread asking those specifc questions, you may want to check it out.

Some links:
Camera - Canon Canada Inc. - Products
Housing - Underwater Housing for Canon A580iS & A590iS Cameras
Strobe - INON America - Product Catalog

P.S.
I'm glad you enjoyed Whytecliff yesterday, I was hoping to get out to meet your group, but it was my sister's last day here from her holiday visit.

you may find a used Canon G9 or rebel &Ikelite system that meets your specks. A new G10 and used strobe might work too.

Well, the more I look the more I realize I'm going to have to increase my budget ... probably close to double it.

Here's what I've come up with so far ...

- Canon G10 camera
- Fisheye FIX G10 housing
- Inon D-2000 strobe (the new version with the focus light)

Still need to settle on a WAL and strobe arm setup.

Suggestions? Looks like I'll be into it for between $2500 and $3000 when it's all said and done ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Backscatter's recommending a Sea & Sea YS-110alpha strobe. Seems to get good reviews.

Looks like I'll be dumping about $3K into a decent photo setup soon ... then I'll have to learn how to use it. Hopefully it'll take nicer pics than my little $400 P&S setup ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

Having looked at your pictures I can't wait to see what you come up with with a new setup.

I was shooting with a Canon S1-IS until I flooded it last July, now I have a G9. Not shooting with an external strobe yet. My wife shoots with an Oly SP-350 and started using a D2000 last July. I did like what it added to what she could do.

Hope to meet you some day and hopefully dive with you too. We have talked about going the your area for a couple of years. Hope it happens some day.

Mike

Let me know if you can make it, Mike ... would enjoy showing you some of my favorite local dive sites ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom