Looking to upgrade to a mirrorless camera - any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoobles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
HI! I have been an underwater photo enthusiast for about 8 years. Generally I have always used Canon point and shoot cameras ranging from basic to higher end. I really don't want to go Slr because I like having a fairly small setup (even though I have a Nikon SLR). My current camera setup is a Canon S100 , Canon case, with a Sola 800 light and a Sea and Sea YS-D1 with a +7 bluewater macro lens.

What I have heard about mirrorless cameras response time lends me to think that would be a good option. Though I can't seem to find answers on if there is a good middle of the road option lens wise so I don't have to be limited to wide angle vs macro on a dive (like a good lens that allows both, with maybe a wet mounted macro flip lens).

I would really like to get a camera that is still fairly small, and a case that allows for wet mounted lenses without an adapter. Not having to use Velcro to connect to the strobe is a plus. I want to buy a wide angle lens this year or next and my current setup won't really allow for it. Plus my camera seems to be getting to the point where I have dove with it too much and the response time is slowing. Having only ever owned Nikons or Canons leaves me unfamiliar with other manufacturers.

Budget for camera and case I would say is $1000 since I may have to repurchase a macro lens.

Heading to Raja Ampat in December, so any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
$1000 is not a lot for any kind of housed system. You can get an EM-5 and Oly housing for $1300 or so (list price is twice that but you still need to add lenses. You can use the 12-50 lens and get both reasonable wide and reasonable macro on a single dive. Sounds more like you should be looking at something like a P&S system but even there getting to $1000 will be very tough.
Bill

Thank you all. I did go by a local photoshop and they said for the price, and so as not to have to change out lenses between Macro and Wide angle I should consider the Canon G7X. Any thoughts on how that model compares to some of the mirrorless cameras, or just if folks like that model? Trying to gauge if getting a mirrorless is the correct call.

1k$ is a tight budget for any mirrorless systems that's not completely obsolete. The E-Pl5-6-7 would fit in with their respective Olympus housings but you'll also need at least one strobe & arm system which doubles the budget.

You aren't going to get there with a Mirrorless system for $1000, although there are some good sale prices starting in November.

I'd take a look at the Fantasea Sony Rx100III for the Sony RX100II compact over the G7X (review here). The camera is a little tiny bit older and that combo should be around $1100-1200.

Other than that, as the other poster said the Olympus TG-4 is an amazing camera and we have a complete set with a Sea & Sea strobe for $998. Lots of people really like them. I have a TG-4 review here.

Raja is amazing!

If you want to upgrade, I'd look at sensor size. The larger the sensor, all other things being equal, the better picture you will get. I got an Oly E-PL5 (there are newer models out there). It's been a struggle, but I'm finally getting good with it. I'd like to house my dslr, but it's just too much of a hassle to carry all that on a trip. I have the Oly housing and two strobes. I just bought the 60mm macro lens which I do like. I have the lens that came with the body (17-42? I think). I started with a diopter for that lens, but i really don't use it much since I got the 60 mm macro since all I want to photograph is tiny stuff.

You might be able to get a used system for your price, but for the Oly E-PL5 or successor it will be much more than $1000. I'd suggest that you think about how long you might use the system and calculate a per year cost to make the decision.

Thanks all. I already have a YS-D1 strobe and a Sola 800 light and arms, so the $1k is just the camera and housing. I will definitely look at the options proposed above. Thanks for the recommendations and keep them coming!

Back
Top Bottom