Looking to purchase my first UW camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kcneff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to purchase my first UW camera. I am interested in one that can be used UW then pulled out of the housing and used during SI. 8-10 Mega-pixel is what I am looking for w/ strobe. I am interested in what current owners like, don't like, fetures that convinced you to purchase your camera, any feedback would be great.

The more I can learn from owners will help me make a much better decision. I checked to see if this was asked before and of course it was. Price range is $800-$1200.

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Hi kcneff,

This article from Backscatter is really helpful to give you some ideas.

Backscatter article

The Canon G10 is a popular model at the moment that may be just within your price range, although it may be too many megapixels. Another alternative may be the Sea & Sea DX1G. I'm also a fan of Olympus as I find the housings are very well made.

I would avoid paying for a camera with a really fancy zoom and this is not very useful underwater. Also, you may be beter going for a camera with a few manual controls, such as White Balance, Shutter Speed & Aperture, rather than a super compact 'point and shoot' model. You may not use these controls in the beginning, but as you progress, they become really useful in underwater photography.

This article might give you some pointers & ideas as well.

I have had many years experience with the Canon Ixus range (or SD range if you are in the states). I have had the canon Ixus 70 for almost 2 years and love it. The newer version is the IXUS 95 -

Canon Digital IXUS 95 IS Digital Camera - Silver 2.5": Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Recently I purchased the Underwater Housing for it which works to 120 ft (40m) and am absolutely delighted. It is of a robust design and seems to work extremely well. In fact I took it tubing the other day and while using video mode even the sound works. The housing is here:

Canon Waterproof Case WP-DC29 for Digital IXUS 95 IS: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Both products are fantastic - you wont be disappointed!!

Before going to DSLR, I had a powershot SD1000 with canon housing, inon wet lenses and sea & sea ys-27dx strobe. This worked really well for me. Now you could do basically the same setup with the SD780 and also have high def video. Probably all this stuff together would fit in your budget.

Check out the Sticky - linked in my signature - for lots of ideas and thoughts from real users.

There are quite a few good choices out there at the moment - Canon G10 is a popular and nice choice. Canon's A series are also good choices and several of them can be found for great prices.

Also have a scroll through this section as there have been quite a few people looking to add their first cameras and each thread has a bit of good information and product suggestions.

Happy shopping!!

Thanks for all your responses and suggestions. I have my homework cut out for me or should I say my wife does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom