Looking to purchase BC for my daughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen Ash:
Sometimes I wonder if those that recommend a BP/wing for a child have actually tried putting their kids in a wing. I would suggest that if you are really considering this, then you better run it by her first.

Finding a BC that she will like doesn't have to be difficult. Take her up to your LDS and let her try some on.

Sometimes I wonder if those that recommend any gear for a child actually even have children who dive, have ever dove with a child, or posses any unique qualifications at all to recommend gear for a child :wink:

You make an excellent point, however. Ultimately, the kid will be the one diving with the equipment. Make sure that they are involved in the decision making process.

riguerin:
<chuckle> Why am I not surprised :D

Don't forget she'll also need a 7ft hose, a bungeed back up, jet fins, and a really expensive canister light .... all in black of course :wink:

Seriously, the merits of BP/W rig have been discussed at great lengths on SB. Based on what you read here, you'd swear the whole world dives BP/W ... when the exact opposite is true. It is a great choice for some. If you are considering this path, make sure that speak with someone that actually has first hand experience with using a BP/W for a young diver. My advise is to do your homework and remain objective. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you daughter will undoubtedly enjoy it and have loads fun diving with you ... remember to keep it fun ! BTW, you never mentioned how old is your daughter ... where will she be diving ?

She is 11 and Jr. OW certified. She took to it like...well, like a fish to water (no pun intended).

Honestly, though, she has been swimming and on swim teams since she is out of diapers. I thought she would have a problem when we did our open water dives (Ft. Lauderdale). She never even thought twice about it...and loved it.

She has been using rental gear, but already has been asking when she can get her own stuff. I just bought her a reg/octo set up (Titan Micra Adj, Sunto Gekko computer, etc.).. She has a 5 mil wetsuit, gloves, boots, hood, etc. She mostly dives quarries where we live for the time being, but we plan on diving in Florida in July (just not sure where...we'll be in Northern Florida) and plan on a scuba vacation w/ the family next year. The one remaining major purchase is a BC. If I have my way, she'll be diving 30-40 times per year, as long as the weather/water remains warm enough.

John

For a standard BC that will probably fit her for a long time try to track down a Mares Vector Platinum. They are no longer in production to my knowledge so you'd need to track down a used one (try the classifieds section here at SB.)

If you want to investigate the BP/W possibility try finding an LDS that will let you rent a BP/W setup for her to test drive - they will probably give help on getting it adjusted properly for her and you can try before you commit to buying...

jwalko:
She mostly dives quarries where we live for the time being, but we plan on diving in Florida in July (just not sure where...we'll be in Northern Florida)

John,

I'll solve your problem. Let me know when you will be in N.FL., and I will PERSONALLY drive a BP/W out for you, fit it to her, and let her dive it. You can dive mine if you want.

If you're going to be near Tallahassee, I'll have your family come down to the shop, and try out the gear in our pool. If you like it you can buy it, or you can wait until you get home and order something different.

Fair enough?

PerroneFord:
John,

I'll solve your problem. Let me know when you will be in N.FL., and I will PERSONALLY drive a BP/W out for you, fit it to her, and let her dive it. You can dive mine if you want.

If you're going to be near Tallahassee, I'll have your family come down to the shop, and try out the gear in our pool. If you like it you can buy it, or you can wait until you get home and order something different.

Fair enough?

Better be carefull... this might be a Dateline NBC undercover sting! :D

LOL!!!

More like "first contact" as a member of the Borg Scout Team.

PerroneFord:
Come on Rap. Tell us exactly what is "too advanced" about the BP/W design for a child.

Theres no pull dump, no ripcord, no adjustable fastex buckles, no cummerbund, no handles, no pockets. What makes them more complicated?

OMG, no hidden agenda here! I sell BP/Ws all day long-it's just that for a kid there is more of a learning curve(not donning, diving) with a BP/W.

riguerin:
Sometimes I wonder if those that recommend any gear for a child actually even have children who dive, have ever dove with a child, or posses any unique qualifications at all to recommend gear for a child :wink:

You make an excellent point, however. Ultimately, the kid will be the one diving with the equipment. Make sure that they are involved in the decision making process.

As the first one to recommend a bp/w in this thread I feel the need to respond.

I have no children at all, though our first is expected mid-August and we're all sorts of excited (even though my wife hasn't been able to dive since November).

The only child I've dived with is your son and I was quite impressed. He pointed out several lobster to me that I hadn't seen. Pasley and I were out of the water at least half an hour before you two came back from an 80-something minute dive. I hope to get my son diving that early.

I recommended that the OP talk to Tobin, who has all of the qualifications you mentioned, and several other truly unique ones. I stand by that recommendation. Even if nothing's going to be purchased for awhile, Tobin is a font of information. I've heard plenty of stories of him turning away sales when he thought the purchaser's decisions were less than ideal solutions to their needs. In other words, there won't be any hard sell if you call/write seeking advice.

Of course, trying something yourself is the best bet for both you and your daughter. Perrone's generous offer is just another example of why I love Scubaboard. I recommend taking advantage of it, for whatever that's worth...

As always YMMV.

Good luck and don't ever forget that buying gear should be one more part of the fun.

Adam

Hey, congrats Adam !!! You&#8217;re life is about to change in some very big ways &#8230; mostly for the better :wink:

Yes, I remember that day late in the season. An 84 minute dive &#8230; caught several bugs &#8230; not one stink&#8217;n keeper! We actually got out because we were cold. Brandon still had like 900psi left in his little HP80.

Speaking of Tobin, Josh and I ran into him and briefly chatted at Laguna Sea Sport during the Memorial Day weekend. He was accompanied by a nice young lady (not sure if it was his daughter) who was diving with a tiny little pink DSS wing &#8230; it looked very sweet. He would be an excellent resource for the OP to contact should he decide to investigate a BP/W option further.

Start catching up on your sleep :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom