Looking to lighten my rig!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want a light tray then you make it from plastic that is used for food containers and it must meet standards for storing food so is also safe for water. You can make ball handles if you want mine handles are just round with screw threads that have standard sizes so can use go pro screws or camera screws. The screws into the handles at the bottom are standard go pro fittings. You can remove everything and unscrew the handles and pack into a laptop case. I put my camera lights extra batteries spare screws chargers and dive computer into a DJI hard case for a Phanton3 drone. It meets hand carry for flights.

I don't think anyone with a larger camera setup with arms would rely on a plastic tray.
Plastic is brittle, and tends to break when stressed.

I don't think anyone with a larger camera setup with arms would rely on a plastic tray. Plastic is brittle, and tends to break when stressed.

Sure OK. As you have never used the tray which I have used for several years you claim it will be brittle. Done over 850 dives with my tray. It's not brittle and has has a lot of flex. I guess I can speak from experience of making and using one. Done that yourself?

Several other friends who use my trays never had an issue one either. :)

Sure OK. As you have never used the tray which I have used for several years you claim it will be brittle. Done over 850 dives with my tray. It's not brittle and has has a lot of flex. I guess I can speak from experience of making and using one. Done that yourself?

Several other friends who use my trays never had an issue one either. :)
No need to be offended, I wasn't insulting your craftsmanship.
Just saying that for people with camera/video rigs that aren't as small as yours they might be problematic.
The video lights on my rig are 1-1.3 meters apart and they are heavy, my metal tray is already flexing a little bit when handling my rig.
A plastic tray like yours would snap in half before I even got to the water with it.
The setup that you posted puts literally zero stress on the tray, but if you were to add long-ish arms and real lights to it you would have a bad time.

No need to be offended, I wasn't insulting your craftsmanship.
Just saying that for people with camera/video rigs that aren't as small as yours they might be problematic.
The video lights on my rig are 1-1.3 meters apart and they are heavy, my metal tray is already flexing a little bit when handling my rig.
A plastic tray like yours would snap in half before I even got to the water with it.
The setup that you posted puts literally zero stress on the tray, but if you were to add long-ish arms and real lights to it you would have a bad time.

Oh so now my lights aren't real lol In case you haven't noticed the OP wants to have a light tray and setup to avoid the heavy setup others use. :)

By the way I do have people who have attached long metal arms and lights to my tray. Never had a tray snap as they do have a lot of flex. It's a lot stronger than you will ever know. I didn't just make one tray I made them from sheets it's cheaper to make 50 than to make only one or two.

Oh so now my lights aren't real lol In case you haven't noticed the OP wants to have a light tray and setup to avoid the heavy setup others use. :)

By the way I do have people who have attached long metal arms and lights to my tray. Never had a tray snap as they do have a lot of flex. It's a lot stronger than you will ever know. I didn't just make one tray I made them from sheets it's cheaper to make 50 than to make only one or two.

Bigblue lights have been dragged across the dirt enough on this forum that you should be able to find plenty of evidence via the search function, I don't have much more to add there.

OP wanted to lighten his rig a bit, he didn't say he wanted to scale it down to the size of yours (not that there is anything wrong with that size, I have one similar myself and love it for shallower dives where I don't need much extra light :) ).

There's a reason you'll pretty much never see people use trays made from other materials than metal, it's well tried and proven to work, it's also durable as hell.
Yours is the first one I've ever seen, both in real life and on the internet.
But if it works for you and your mates that is great :)

Bigblue lights have been dragged across the dirt enough on this forum that you should be able to find plenty of evidence via the search function, I don't have much more to add there.

OP wanted to lighten his rig a bit, he didn't say he wanted to scale it down to the size of yours (not that there is anything wrong with that size, I have one similar myself and love it for shallower dives where I don't need much extra light :) ).

There's a reason you'll pretty much never see people use trays made from other materials than metal, it's well tried and proven to work, it's also durable as hell. Yours is the first one I've ever seen, both in real life and on the internet.
But if it works for you and your mates that is great :)

He said he wanted a tray that is 12 or 13 inches wide which mine is. :)

I'm sure mine is the first you have seen as it's DIY as could not buy what I wanted. Originally used for my Go Pro years ago but can put on lots of cameras and lights setups. I've used my down to 45m as that is the max depth for the TG6 camera housing was used deeper with just the go pro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom