Looking to go to PSD course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmyers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am looking to go to the Public Safety Diver and Underwater Criminal Investigator courses offered by UCI this July in Ft. Lauderdale. Can someone tell me if there is anything in particular I need to bring, equipment wise, that they do not list on the site? Do I need to take any other specialties? Here are my current certifications:

• Open Water
  • Advanced Open Water
  • Rescue Diver
  • Emergency First Responder
  • Search and Recovery
  • Deep Diver
  • Night Diver
  • Underwater Navigation
  • Enriched Air
  • Master Scuba Diver

Also, any other helpful advice would be welcome as well.

Thanks...

Public Safety Diver Information can be found here. Mike Berry can answer any questions you may have. He can be reached at 434.594.5006. You will need your own equipment for this course. At a minimum, I would bring BCD, regulator, mask, and fins. He may need you to bring additional equipment so he would be the best one to talk to. He is a great guy and will be glad to answer any questions you may have. I am currently a PSD Instructor through PADI and have spoken to him several times. Are you currently affiliated with any agency such as fire, ems or police? If you are, it would be best to take equipment from your dive team so that you train with the equipment you will be using on public safety dives. I hope this helps and good luck to you.

I took this course a few years ago. It was extremely informative, good training, and a lot of fun, I highly recommend it. Mike is an excellent instructor.

As long as you have good basic dive skills and equipment you are comfortable with you will be set up for success with the dive portions of this class. The biggest potential stressor in the class (in my opinion) can be doing a search with a blacked out mask. If you have any experience diving in low vis you will be fine. The last day we did a real-life search pattern on a local boat ramp and highway bridge that resulted in handing over five guns we recovered to the Columbus Police Department.

Back
Top Bottom