Looking to get certified!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Newbi4170

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Everyone!

I went diving on vacation and have been dying to get certified ever since. Does anyone know of trusted instructors in Southern CA that run discounts?

I don't know if I can afford what I am seeing online and have money left to purchase gear.... Any help would be great!

Thanks!:D

If budget is an issue you should look at buying good guality used gear to save funds, but not skimp on the the quality of scuba training you get.

Can't help you with instructors. All I can say is go for it! I got certified in June and I am doing Advanced Open Water at the end of the month.

As far as gear is concerned everyone will tell you to rent for a while and wait and see what you like. It's so true. I didn't listen. I bought before my OW classes mostly because I am a big guy and want things to fit right but in reality I just like gear and wanted to get some! NOw that I have been diving and reading a lot I have a completely different list of gear in mind for the future. I imagine this time next year I won't have any of my original gear except maybe my dive computer (Cressi Leonardo, It works well and I have no complaints) I have already changed my fins and mask. I have a different BC in mind and I want to get a completely different set of regulators.

What I am saying is, get what you need for class, then rent/borrow the rest and read a lot so you can figure out what kind of diver you want to be. Listen to them, they are right.

Hi Everyone!

I went diving on vacation and have been dying to get certified ever since. Does anyone know of trusted instructors in Southern CA that run discounts?

I don't know if I can afford what I am seeing online and have money left to purchase gear.... Any help would be great!

Thanks!:D

I second the comment about good used gear. I have found some great deals on this board so far.

Welcome aboard newbie.Check out the LDS's(local dive stores)within a resonable driving distance from your current location.Start out shopping for your basic course & talk to them about getting a deal on mask/snorkle/fins & boots(5mm).Don't spend much on a snorkle or boots,just get something basic.After you know exactly how much these items are going to cost,you should have a target budget for the rest of your gear.Don't worry about buying tanks & look online for an inexpensive 7mm Farmer John/Jacket wetsuit,hood & gloves(I see the wetsuits for $140.00 Incl.Shipping on Ebay).That leaves a Reg/BCD & Gauges.Once you have your budget worked out for these & you have a better idea of what style BCD you want you can get specific recommendations in your price range.Good luck...

The LA County Scuba program has gotten rave reviews here in the past. I have no personal experience with it, but it's certainly worth looking into.

I will echo the sentiments expressed above as far as the expense of instruction vs gear. We all love the gear, but quality instruction will make a big difference in your enjoyment of the sport, in my opinion. There is no gear from a reputable manufacturer that isn't adequate to the task.

Agreed, wait to buy your gear until after you get your cert is completed. I did buy my gear in May just before my second attempt to certify but I did research the hell out of it first. I like my gear and am glad that I got it but there are definitely other items I would rather have. The one thing I will say is that having my own wet suit was big for me. I hated the wet suit I was given to use for cert.

Good luck on your cert, have fun and enjoy. Remember, if things get a little nerve racking just remember to rub your ears and chant oooosaaaw (from Bad Boys the movie...:wink:) it will break the nerves and maybe make your instructor laugh which will chill the nerves even more.
:D

I'll echo the sentiment that training is not where you want to economize. As far as instructor recommendations go, where in SoCal are you, and what is your schedule? SoCal's a big place, as I've found out when I've made recommendations to folks there in the past :)

Back
Top Bottom