Looking to get 1st canister light...Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ooohhhh ! ! ! !

I'm gonna tell your wife you want to buy a $1200 flashlight !!!! :D

. . . just kidding. My lips are sealed . . . for a $PRICE$

the K

Northwest Sports Divers here in the Seattle area is a Salvo dealer, and has better prices than the Salvo website, but I don't know how it compares once you handle shipping to Georgia. Hunter991 is also a Salvo dealer. He's in North Carolina, and shipping might be a little less from there. You might PM him for prices as well. I bought mine directly from Salvo, but I could have saved some money doing it locally, as it turned out.

wjknobles:
JKSTeger ... i don't know about your exact conditions but for some reason we have noticed that in the lakes around here a halogen seems to penetrate the particulate better than either HID or LED. something to do with the color temp or something

of course saying that most of us still us HID can lights and have a halogen back-up in case it gets REALLY bad ... the car headlight effect of an HID is just great :wink:

I would suspect that your Texas lakes and our Georgia lakes are very similar. It's a good day to see 10'-15' and a GREAT day to have 20'. there is a lot of sediment on the bottom that can get stirred up in an instant if everyone is not keeping good bouyancy, trim and frog kicks up.

Interesting about the halogen. Does anyone make any halogen "canister" lights? If so please point me in the right direction so that I can at least try to research them.

J:

The Kraken:
Ooohhhh ! ! ! !

I'm gonna tell your wife you want to buy a $1200 flashlight !!!! :D

. . . just kidding. My lips are sealed . . . for a $PRICE$

the K

You trying to get me beat up????:11:

I've also thought about looking into the Dive Rite hand held 10w HID light. I know it has a 6deg. reflector that causes the light to be focused very tight and this is probably what I will be more inclined to buy. It's around $350.00.

Hey TK, How does your UK light cannon work in Lanier?

J:

JKSteger:
I'm just starting to research into canister lights. I'm looking to purchase within the next 6 months. I want to get a light that will suit me well.

1st> My "type" of diving.

I primarily dive in freshwater and most of my diving will be done in lakes where the ambient light disapears by 70' or so. There will be some particulate in the water that the light would need to try to "cut" thru. Some quarry's and Fl. springs.

2nd> Dive times.

Most dives are less than 1 hour currently but I will be taking Adv. Nitrox / Deco later this year. I still plan on diving locally with the OW divers from our Looney Birds group primarily.

3rd > Maintenece costs.

I know a HID will probably give me the best light output but I want to keep options open on Halogen, etc due to the expense of the HID bulb and how fragile they are.

4th > upfront cost.

Honestly I know you "get what you pay for" but I cannot drop a grand on a light. I would be looking at $700.00 as being the absolute top I could pay.

Please give me your thoughts and feedback on this. Thanks very much in advance.

J:

Hi JKSteger.

I would encourage you to take a look at Green Force, www.mantaindustries.com.

Our systems are completly modular and we offer HID and LED. If you have any questiion, let me know.

Thanks - Greg

I suggest the cheap Princeton Tec lights for now, and then save some moneyt for the Can light down the road, don't bother buying something youll be unhappy with in a month or two. I have been going through a horrific fight about Can lights for about 7 monhts from now. I can only say SALVO is the best company I have dealt with. BARRY and CORY are top notch people making top notch lights. Save your money and buy one down the road, who knows their 35W version may come down in price in a year or so!!! SALVO, SALVO, SALVO!!!!

Karl

If I can help you with a salvo let me know.

Brent

Another vote for Salvo - I was most impressed with the amazing customer service and support; Corey and Barry have gone out of their way many, many times to help me even though I live in Thailand.

diveprof:
OK, I know I will catch grief for this and I know you are looking at a canister, but for my deep lake diving with particlates in the water, I like this $1295 light (oh, that's $12.95) Princeton Tec 40:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_972/Context_965/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_1%3d390/PTCT4.html?Hit=1
OK, so I'm a minimalist -but it has a nice tight beam. I wouldn't cry if it flooded, then again it never has ...

Funny you mentioned that Diveprof,
I was actually looking at getting 2 of these lights as backups. I wasn't sure if I wanted the Impact XL or the Tec 40. I also read on The Deco Stop that alot of the tec divers are also using the Tec 40 as backup lights. Are you using the Tec 40 Halogen light? I would imagine if it cuts thru the particulates over at Thurmond it would work in Lanier too.

J:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom