Looking to Buy DPV for Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For us, it is easier to surprise someone by taking care of them even though it may be out of warranty, than to have a long warranty and then not honor it when someone clearly abuses their equipment.

Sounds good to me. I have no idea what the warranty is on my Shearwaters, and I know my Salvo/LM lights are waaaay outside it--I don't have to care because I know from experience and word of mouth that if something goes genuinely wrong (versus me doing something dumb) I'll be taken care of fairly and my gear treated like a valuable piece of kit, rather than something disposable.

Which may tie back to Tyler's post a bit, since I can loan him my 600 when he visits Oahu next and maybe convince to save up and spend more :wink:

Tyler, let me know if you want me to ask after the UVs Jon mentioned his commercial customer is replacing when I pick up mine as they're all on the same pallet.

Sent from my Shearwater Petrel using Tapatalk

Jon,
As someone originally looking to buy a Maguns or SS Vipre (originally a UV-26 till I experienced its weight) for use in caves only, would the 1200 be the suitable choice. I assume the 600 would be more in line of competition for the Minnus, and the 1200 to the Magnus. In the SS lineup I was leaning more to the Magnus than the Vipre due to run times, and the reality that I don't want to buy one scooter only to wish I had upgraded from the get-go. I would assume the same would hold true in your lineup: The 1200 will have the run time to not make me wish I had gone bigger from the get-go, and the larger body and weight lend to a slightly smoother ride? Is there a significant difference in the exertion required to handle the torque of the 1200 over the 600, or do both feel very similar? I also read that you have biased the handle to the 4 o'clock position. How difficult is the adjustment to say the 12 o'clock.

Thanks. Between the thread here and at cdf, I'm really taking a hard look at your products over the SS. As Peter has said, the SS have the business history and the Florida location working for us as cave divers in FL, but I really am impressed by the ingenuity in your product. You've seemed to make a leap forward in the technology of the dpv other than the battery tech everyone is focused on so much.

As a side note, I think the hardest part of deciding on a dpv is the difficulty in trying them. I will be taking a dpv class soon enough, but would prefer my own scooter in the class as opposed to a rental scooter. It's tough to try a scooter though without having taken a class and knowing enough to make an informed decision. It's a double edge sword: rental scooter in class vs buy a scooter without the experience of the class under your belt.

I vote for Suex. They're real good. The prop design is way better than the gavin/mako/ss variable pitch thing (I've owned 4 gavins at one time or another) and the seal is better. While it gets the job done (obviously), that prop design is highly suspect in my mind. Suex speed control is really convenient and you can match it perfectly without coming off the trigger. Halcyon Exp and the Suex XK 1 have a two stage trigger that takes you from cruise speed to rocket speed that's surprisingly handy. T16s are starting to pop up on the used market at reasonable prices, too. The one thing I really don't enjoy about the Suex design is the rotational torque. I'm fairly used to riding Gavins which just don't do that due to the way the batteries are biased in the tube. Its not a show stopper, however, just a minor annoyance.

There are a few reports on here of the Hollis scooters not balancing right, which would drive me absolutely bonkers. And for a 4,000 dollar scooter, it BETTER be balanced right.

I got my hands on a Genesis scooter the other day. Didn't ride it, but gave it a good once over. Its nice, but I'm not a fan of the way the anderson connectors are kinda stuck into the back end or the handle/trigger/lock thing. I think the magnetic prop assembly is brilliant, though. I'd like to get one in the water and see how it feels.

rddvet, I'll PM you to avoid hijacking this thread any more.

PfcAJ, Go visit Wayne and borrow the 600 he has for a quick dive at Ginnie or Little River. My time to make a lap around the merry go round/short-cut at LR was about 45 seconds in backmount and didn't touch a wall. I made a second lap to see if I blew it out and a very slight haze was barely noticeable at the sharp turns where I got completely sideways. That was fun. The rest of the dive I was creeping along at 50fpm with a buddy on a rebreather who was just swimming it. I used the scooter to drop the SAC rate and buy more bottom time with him.

Jon

Jon,

As a side note, I think the hardest part of deciding on a dpv is the difficulty in trying them. I will be taking a dpv class soon enough, but would prefer my own scooter in the class as opposed to a rental scooter. It's tough to try a scooter though without having taken a class and knowing enough to make an informed decision. It's a double edge sword: rental scooter in class vs buy a scooter without the experience of the class under your belt.

I definitely would not buy a scooter until trying out a few. If you are in the Ginnie area, I can probably come up with a Minnus you can try, and there is a demo scooter at Amigo's I believe for the Genesis.

I definitely would not buy a scooter until trying out a few. If you are in the Ginnie area, I can probably come up with a Minnus you can try, and there is a demo scooter at Amigo's I believe for the Genesis.

I'd def like to try first. It's just without the dpv experience I wonder if I'll be able to notice nuances. I'm probably just going to rent for the class and then buy from there, but if it were feasible I'd prefer to be on my own scooter.

OP I have a Hollis H160 and a Mako currently. The Hollis is nose heavy only when stopped and trims out nice and straight when under power. The throttle is a soft start which I really like vs the Makos hard on/off type of throttle. What I don't particularly like about the H160 is the throttle off 2 second delay which you get used to and just think 2 seconds ahead. I added a neoprene sleeve to add some lift to the front half of the scooter and I run video lights and a go pro on it as well. It is a solid and well balanced scooter underwater now and I spent a lot of time on it this summer diving NC with it. If you can get one used for 2000-2500 get it. Don't pay retail for the H160 or any old technology scooter.

That being said, I am picking up a Genesis 1200 the 3rd week in Dec. and really looking forward to playing with it this next season. My better half is getting the Hollis to ride for a little while then I will pick up a Genesis 600 for her.

I got into scooters on the cheap and have been wanting faster/better every since. The Genesis are the top of the line in speed, technology and quality. I will not have to buy another scooter for a long, long time after getting these. Jon has been very patient in answering all my stupid questions and very helpful in my understanding of the new technology that his scooters have.

Good luck and enjoy the new toy. It will change diving for you forever!!

If you are on a budget, you might look around for a used N-19 scooter, purchase the 20 or 30 A/h lithium battery conversion and you will have a great scooter with 500 or 800 Watt Hour batteries for less than half the cost of a Magnus.

Rodney
Submerge Scooters

Aloha all,

I've been a good boy this year so hopefully santa leaves me a new DPV under the Christmas tree this year!! :D

Trying to do some research on DPVs that I can use for tec diving. I am a college student and will be paying for most of this on my own so something that has the best value. The kind of style I am looking for is like the Hollis H-160. Hollis Gear: H-160

I would love to hear any recommendations and considerations from you experienced "scooter-ers" out there! If you are in the market to sell your DPV, please send me a private message with more information.

Thanks for reading! Happy safe diving!

-Tyler

having rode dpvs for the past 23 years, I believe the SUEX Joy 37 with a 4 blad prop is the best dpv ever made for tec diving. At only 41 pounds it lasts almost 2.5 hours at full tilt boogey and much longer at reasonable speed with a lot of torque, less torque than the xk1 (which is only needed when pulling a huge load like wakulla type diving) but still plenty for tec diving with dry suit, doubles and several stages and plenty fast. I have a garage full of dpvs from gavin to halcyon (r14, t16), suex 2, 7, 14 and 37 and the new Suex wins hands down and has made several improvements.

Back
Top Bottom