Looking forward to Belize next month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Placencia Car Rental is another possibility. They have an office both at the airport and in, wait for it, Placencia, lol. They would probably be willing to drop off a vehicle in Hopkins or you could catch a cab there for maybe $15 or $20. But obviously Hopkins Car Rental would be easier and quicker.

You could rent a car from them at the airport and drive to Hopkins. It's around a two-hour drive and the part from Belmopan to Hopkins on the Hummingbird Highway through the Maya Mountains is beautiful. Apparently all the one-lane bridges have been replaced, which is kind of sad but overdue.

Be prepared for high gas prices, usually around double what we pay in the US. When I rent a car, it's usually around $100 to fill it up. Also, these rental cars tend to be borderline beaters, not brand new like in the US.

That's the only one I know of
That explains their prices of $75 per day! lol. We'll still rent for a few days to explore. We are not really into organized tours, but go where we feel like it.

@Hank49, @Downing,

One last question. I'm guessing that Grover's reef is an all day trip from shore. What about South Water Caye? I've got clearance to dive all mornings we don't explore. But I can probably only get in two days being gone for most of the day.

@Hank49, @Downing,

One last question. I'm guessing that Grover's reef is an all day trip from shore. What about South Water Caye? I've got clearance to dive all mornings we don't explore. But I can probably only get in two days being gone for most of the day.
Depending on weather, SW Caye is 25 - 40 minutes from Hopkins. Same again to Glovers. Glovers is big so it depends on what part of Glovers you're going to. The circled area is Southwater. The diving going south from there along the reef is also very good
65788C74-F75D-46B1-B2B5-D1F0581B8DDA.jpeg

Stayin in Hopkins Bay as I'll be with my wife and two year old daughter (both are fish). It looks like there's a lot to do in Belize, not just diving. I didn't find much info on Hopkins Bay here (maybe I'm not so good at Googling the internets). But I'm sure I'll find something and book a few dives in advance. Not interested in the Blue Hole, just want to drain cylinders down to 500 psi looking at pretty fish and reefs, maybe a few pelagics if I'm lucky.

Planning on renting a car, so that if my daughter that is firmly entrenched in the terrible twos has any issues, we can always return back. I don't want to impose on tours/other people who paid good money.

Driftwood Pizza- Live drumming on Thursdays... we are also going to be close to hopkins next month to do diving.

I'm heading down, with my non-diving wife, to Hopkins Bay the first week of March. Already scheduled Glovers Atoll with Underwater Belize. Looking forward to your updates.

I'm heading down, with my non-diving wife, to Hopkins Bay the first week of March. Already scheduled Glovers Atoll with Underwater Belize. Looking forward to your updates.
Where are you staying? Have you arranged for a car rental?

Hopkin’s Bay Resort, thru Padi. I didn’t consider a rental yet. I’m diving 3 of the 6 days there with Underwater Belize.
that's where my wife and I stayed a year ago. The grounds are very nice, but the water isn't very swimmable or clear. They do a lot of cleanup, but north of the grounds, there is no one who removes the seaweed. Lots of no see ums that you need to be mindful of at dusk.

If you do take a walk in that area along the beach, there's a set of condos. Say hello to James in the northern most one on the bottom floor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom