Looking for two flashlights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't like the 26650 form factor
Easy enough to convert a 26650 to accept an 18650. 1 3/4" piece of 3/4" PVC pipe slid over the battery makes it fit just fine.

I have gotten good use from the Dive Rite BX1(replaced by the BX2) and the Light Monkey 2w and 3w lights. The Dive Rite CX1 may have a little more light output but I have never used one. These lights probably fall in the 90 to 165 range. FWIW, I have gotten better use out of twist switches over push button switches.

I don't find the 26650 form factor to be a problem, but I agree you'd want to replace the battery and charger that are commonly bundled with lights like this.

BTW, the volume of a 26650 is almost exactly twice that of a 18650, so shouldn't it give a much longer burn time (assuming the LEDs are the same)?

I just spent a week diving with Big Blue lights in Grand Cayman , and I’m actually impressed.

I wouldn’t hesitate at all to recommend them.

I don't find the 26650 form factor to be a problem, but I agree you'd want to replace the battery and charger that are commonly bundled with lights like this.

BTW, the volume of a 26650 is almost exactly twice that of a 18650, so shouldn't it give a much longer burn time (assuming the LEDs are the same)?
Yes the 26650 shouuld run longer. The Mah rating is the "amount of gas" a battery has. a good 18650 is 3400Mah. A good 26650 is 5200Mah.

@dberry yes, the 26650's are usually around 5ah where the 18650's are usually around 3ah give or take so you'll get 1.5x the burn time. The good 3400mah 18650's are good for an hour or so which is about as long as most people are diving on a single dive anyway so the smaller form factor is nicer to me. To each his own though and there's nothing wrong with them, just personal preference on that one for me

I almost always buy the 18650 lights... but I do have a couple of the others, so knowing how to use them without having to buy the bigger batteries is important to me.

Chalk up another vote for the DGX 600. It's been my primary since I did my AOW class a few years back and I've never had any complaints. Long battery life, plenty of light output, nice focused beam, and small enough to stow just about anywhere. Yeah it's a twist on/off, but that's not an issue (for me at least) unless you're using it with a glove. Then you just have to turn it on before you secure it to the glove. Easy enough to cover the lens if you need it to be off for any reason during your dive.

The small bright white circle in the center of this pic is the DGX 600. Taken in the Pit in Tulum sometime around noon that day.
View media item 208220
Also seen here as the bright beam in the midst of the halocline @ around 60 FFW
View media item 208219

Big Blue has a combo kit that you can buy, one 1200 lm and a 450 lm choice of wide beam or narrow beam . The 1200 takes an 18650 battery the 450 takes 3AAA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom