Looking for some current information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

murdrcycle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I and another couple are considering a trip to Hawaii in February, splitting our time between Maui and Honolulu. I searched the board and found a lot of information. Unfortunately the sheer volume of information was staggering and much of it outdated. If possible, I would like to gain some insight to a few specific questions.

First, some background. I am the most experienced diver in the group with 11 logged dives (about 15 dives prior to certification). The other couple is getting their certification now and will be doing their checkouts during the vacation. All of us have or will have PADI OW. I am the oldest at 37 years of age and we are all in fairly good physical condition.

I have dove in some less-than-perfect conditions, including some relatively cold water (58 degrees F), and low vis (5 ft or less at some points) while diving at local quarries. My wife did her checkouts at a local quarry as well where the conditions were similar. My wife and I have both dove in some fairly serious surge and current conditions while in Mexico, with some bad chop (I was certified, my wife was not). One one dive, the divemaster, an Englishman who has dove all over the world, commented that it was some of the worst he has seen. It was so bad it knocked my tank off of my bc and it had to be reattached twice. I went shore diving once while in Florida at the Destin Jetties. Conditions were OK, but it did start to silt up a bit at the end. I was with a local that I met on this board whose expertise was well worth the money I paid to refill his tanks. None of us have been on a deep dive (the deepest I have been is about 70 ft prior to certification while in St. Thomas in 1992).

We are looking for some shore diving sites that are very easy. I would like some sites where the tides allow for big windows of opportunity, with little current or surge. I am especially interested in sites that are close together that may afford the opportunity to hit two on the same day.

The other couple will need someone to administer their checkout dives. I would like to know which shops (or independent instructors) are good for this.

We are also looking for lodging. We would like a place on the beach with a kitchen so we can cook our own meals.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

I'd love to help with any questions you have about Maui.

First off -- tides are unremarkable here. The only site where I'll check tide tables prior to diving is Mala Wharf, so that there's enough water over the shallow coral to keep swimming.

Second -- almost all the shore dive sites will be easy and safe... but you may not find the big attractions without either a local guide or some very detailed instructions. The best places I've found on-island to talk story and get the low down are Maui Dreams Dive Co. in Kihei and Pacific Dive in Lahaina.

On this, everyone has their favourite sites... but you really can't go too wrong. Even if you end up diving the same entry point twice, your dives will likely be vastly different... just ask at the shop (or of your local guide) when you're figuring these things out to get directions.

I would be able to help you with the other couple's OW dives, or I can refer you to a couple other great independent instructors: TudorMatt and DabldoMaui (their names on Scubaboard).

As for accommodations, I've been increasingly happy with the condos (and the rates) in North Kihei. My parents have recently stayed at both the Luana Kai and the Menehune Shores (Menehuneshores ) -- the latter working out to ~$140/night over the Christmas Holiday... which is exceptionally low for a 1/1 oceanfront condo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom