Looking for snorkeling info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey man,
Sounds like you are a freshwater freediver, diving to 10 feet, maybe more, with a little technique and practise you can reasonably push that to 20-40 feet, and you're in for a new ride:)
Cressi makes some great fins and masks, I use frog fins, and the big eye mask. Once you move up to a good quality set you'll never go back. if you dont need boots and thermal suits where you snorkel you can get closed heel fins, if you need thermal or plan to scuba later get open heel fins.
The Apollo bio split fins are truly wonderful, when you're ready to shell out $150 take a look at them.
There are so many masks, its a matter of fit, angle of view, purge or no purge, you really have to try a mask and fin before you'll know if you like it.
Ifr you have been snorkeling for many years you have amassed a lot of experience in the the water so don't feel shy about posting here:) zeN||

Zach, I'm not sure what your intention is but I have done an amount of freediving. If you enter free dive on your search enging you will find tons of info from everywhere. Terry Mass has put out several books on the subject, I got a book yrs ago...The last of the Blue Water Hunters or something very close to that. Its by Carlos Eyeles spelling is questionable but if your interested I'm sure I can find it in the stuff.I use a low volume black mask that tends to hide my eyes. I use a 3-4 mil 1 piece wetsuit with Escopez fins. I also use a small weight belt thats easily held to the side on an ascent from depth. If I had to feed myself on my catches I'd have starved but the kelp forest is wonderfully differant while breath holding. I could chat on this one for a long time so if you have questions feel free to ask.
Bill

Yes, Carlos Eyles' books are great -- "The Last of the Blue Water Hunters," "The Blue Edge," etc. Mostly these are his personal experiences freediving and spearfishing (and, later, shooting pictures after he got a nasty case of ciguatera that left him with an allergy to seafood).

Terry Maas co-wrote the basic non-fiction technique book on the topic -- "Freedive!" It's carried in dive shops around here and is also available from online booksellers.

I know some freedivers in Portland, if that's anywhere close.

Freediving fins, such as the 2000s are expensive and advanced, in open water with good viz with the intention of diving to significant depth they are very cool, but for rivers and lakes they tend to be a bit much, unwieldy, I own a great pair but put them away except for special occaisions enjoy:) zeN||

Freediving fins, such as the 2000s are expensive and advanced, in open water with good viz with the intention of diving to significant depth they are very cool, but for rivers and lakes they tend to be a bit much, unwieldy, I own a great pair but put them away except for special occaisions enjoy:) zeN||

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom