Looking for snorkeling info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZachMandell

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been hunting for snorkeling info and can't seem to find ANYTHING. The Yahoo directory has close to nothing and all my searchs just turn up commercial sites. I know you folks are happy to answer snorkeling questions, but I was just wondering if anyone knows of any good sites on the subject.

Thanks.

What kind of info are you looking for? I've never seen that much web info on snorkeling, probably because there isn't much to it. :)

Zach, it would be helpful to know a little more about the nature of what you're trying to find out about snorkeling.

-- Gear?

-- Technique? (Snorkeling kind of segues into freediving, which is another whole type of adventure in and of itself.)

-- Good places to snorkel? (The best spots for scuba aren't always the best for snorkeling, and vice-versa.)

Mainly I've been looking for equipment info -- fins in particular.

Technique info would be nice as well. I'm self taught, so I'm sure I have quite a few problems I don't know about. If anyone can point me toward info on how to do different kicks (I'm pretty sure that would cross over between snorkeling and scuba), that would be helpful.

Locations wouldn't be very useful to me. Unfortunately I don't have the $$ to travel (pretty much the same reason I don't scuba).

Thanks again

Hi,
To really enjoy snorkeling, invest in a good mask that fits you properly. I would also suggest what is known as a dry snorkel. If you are not totally comfortable in the water, there is a snorkelrs vest. Go to any reputable dive shop and they should be able to steer you the right way.

One word of caution.......snorkeling can lead to scuba diving which is very addictive and equipment intensive!!!!! Just joking.

Good luck to you,

Taffy

Zach,

The good thing about diving vs. snorkeling is that there are usually local dive spots around while there aren't any local snorkeling spots. For example, you wouldn't think that there is diving in Kentucky, yet there are several filled quarries within a few hours drive of my house. Not Cozumel or Hawaii, but diving nonetheless. Snorkeling pretty much limits you to shore diving in tropical environments, while diving opens up many different sites and seasons. You can literally dive all throughout the year, no matter where you live.

As to fins for snorkeling, I find that rigid split fins work well on the surface (although there is a big debate about their usefulness at depth). There really aren't any special kicks that you can do while snorkeling, since you're basically just surface swimming.

One thing about snorkeling (and diving) is that you always need to be aware of your surroundings. It's easy to spend so much time looking at the marine life that you swim far offshore or run into other snorkelers, swimmers, etc. Always pay attention to shore conditions at beaches noting current and surf. A good rule of thumb is that if you see surfers on the water, you should skip the snorkeling because the surf is probably too big.

Zach, if you're on a tight budget, I think you can probably get by with basic fins/mask/snorkel packages you find in sporting goods stores. Body Glove, for example, has several packages of this type, one of which I bought for my wife and son when they got into snorkeling a few years ago.

If you really get into it and you want to make more of an investment, you can upgrade each piece of equipment. For snorkeling or freediving (making descents while holding your breath), I use long freediving fins (these are about three feet long each). These are really great, but they aren't cheap either -- above $100 per pair.

As far as masks go, the most important thing is getting a good fit to your face. The only way to tell this is to go into a store and try on a bunch of masks. I have deep-set eyes and had a hard time finding a mask for scuba or freediving that didn't leak. I ended up with what's called a "low-volume" mask (very little air space between your face and the glass).

I'd put the snorkel as the least critical piece in this equation. For general snorkeling/freediving I use a simple "J-tube" design. If I'm in choppy water I sometimes use a dry-type snorkel (this has a valve at the bottom that's supposed to get rid of water).

I also wear a wetsuit, hood, gloves and weightbelt (which allows me to submerge holding my breath), but these aren't necessary for basic snorkeling. Overall, a simple mask/fins/snorkel package ought to be fine (and much less expensive than buying individual components).

I don't think I quite agree with the comment that snorkeling limits you to tropical shore diving. I live in Southern California and, during the past year or two, have snorkeled or freedived many times from charter boats at several of the local Channel Islands including a neat sea lion rookery, Hawaii, a spring in Florida, cenotes in Mexico, etc. Once or twice I've been on dive boats that have ended up at sites a little outside my depth range, but there's a lot you can see in the water without having to wear breathing apparatus.

As far as technique goes, basic snorkeling is really pretty simple. The main thing is spending a lot of time in the water to build up your comfort level. As far as kicks go, at the outset I'd just suggest keeping your fins under the surface so that you're not splashing around a lot as you move. If you dive down while holding your breath, make sure you equalize your ears (pinch your nose and inflate gently) because you can damage them even just diving down to 10 or 15 feet.

What part of the world are you looking at snorkeling in?

Sorry, I probably should have explained myself more. The main info that I have been looking for is on fins -- and I posted my question in the equipment-fins section but haven't gotten any replies, so I guess I'll ask here.

First off, I've been snorkeling for a while -- I would guess I started learning to around the age of 8 and I'm 21 now. I live in oregon, so the ocean isn't an option. I just play around in the lakes and rivers around here. I already have a mask and snorkel that work for me (they're cheap, but work fine for my needs).

What got me started looking for snorkeling info on the internet is that I want some new fins that are not the wal-mart variety. So, I'm looking for any reccomendations from y'all for something good for a low (~$50) price -- and yes, I know that "good" is a relative term at that price range.

As for the technique question, I know that a lot of snorkeling is paddeling around on the surface. The reason I ask about different strokes and such is that I'd like to be as efficent as possible when I'm *under* the water (seeing as I'm not so fortunate as to be able to breathe like you folks).

So, any suggestions?

ZachMandell once bubbled...

What got me started looking for snorkeling info on the internet is that I want some new fins that are not the wal-mart variety. So, I'm looking for any reccomendations from y'all for something good for a low (~$50) price -- and yes, I know that "good" is a relative term at that price range.

As for the technique question, I know that a lot of snorkeling is paddeling around on the surface. The reason I ask about different strokes and such is that I'd like to be as efficent as possible when I'm *under* the water (seeing as I'm not so fortunate as to be able to breathe like you folks).

Well, as noted, I use a pair of long freediver fins (Omer Millenniums rebranded as Riffe Silent Hunters) for snorkeling/freediving. I use Scuba Pro Jetfins for scuba. Neither of these are in the $50 range new. Fins tend to be one of those religious-war subjects, so you'll get other recommendations. I think you've already had one for split fins. If I had $50 to spend on fins for snorkeling, I'd probably try to pick up a pair of used freediving fins somewhere.

One of the advantages of these long freediving fins is that they allow you to move quickly underwater. Most freedivers descend and ascend at a typical rate of 200 feet per minute, which is a lot faster than you move with a scuba tank on your back (in fact, more than 6 times faster than you *should* ascend on scuba).

If you give us an idea of your geographic area, I might be able to put you in touch with local freedivers who could give some advice on fins and maybe make suggestions on technique.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom