Looking for small camera to replace A620

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lardo5150

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I currently have the canon a620.
I would like to get rid of it for something smaller, something I can carry around easier. more of a slimline/pocket camera. The catch is though I would like to purchase a housing for the new camera to take underwater pics while diving.
Can anyone suggest anything or are currently using something like this that could show me pictures?
I would like to keep the same specs as the a620 if that is possible.

Take a look at the Canon website. There are several cameras (SD series Powershots) that are are small yet have large LCD displays. Most of the SDxxx cameras also have Canon underwater housings available. Get the part numbers from the Canon website, then get your camera and housing from Adorama, BH Photo, or Amazon.

I use a Canon A720IS with a Canon UW Housing (WP-DC16). Takes great photos, does decent video, and uses AA batteries.

Good Luck,

Ron

Another alternative is Olympus Stylus. The SW models are even shock proof and waterproof to at least 10ft. so if you drop it in the surf or have a light flood, it won't hurt the camera. Some people here have posted decent pictures with them as well.

Olympus SW series.

Don't pay attention to the naysayers about these, I am quite pleased with mine in all respects plus it is actually RUGGED.

N

The trouble with trading for something smaller is that you are going to sacrifice manual controls for the most part. And that means that your options, especially underwater, are going to be more limited and you'll need to learn to work within those new limitations and be happy with the limitations.

Or keep your A 620 for underwater and get something like the Canon SD1100 to carry around for land. I was this close yesterday to pulling the trigger on this model as I am very unhappy with my Olympus 720SW. Others are willing to live with the below average picture quality & slow and often inaccurate focusing of this series for the benefits it undoubtedly gives. I've been happy to sacrifice those things for a while now, but it's getting harder and harder to accept, especially when I know there are models out there that don't make me crazy...but those models don't offer the things the Olys do...all of life is a tradeoff! And I'm keeping the Oly as it definitely is a useful tool - it just wouldn't be my only compact camera.

I haven't used the newer Olympus 1030SW very often yet and it does appear to be slightly better (although still a bit slow and misses focus though) than the three models before it, so if ruggedness, a bit of built in waterproofness (watch the seal on the battery compartment!) and 10/10 style factor are important this is the model to try. But it's also heavier than something like some models in the Canon SD range.

In a nutshell for the SD range, thanks to tons of reading and talking to real world users, I "narrowed" it down to: SD700, SD770, SD850, SD870, SD950, SD1100 (I think I remembered those right LOL). For what I was looking for, the SD1100 fit the bill pretty well.

Pentax also do an Optio waterproof camera but I haven't been able to lay hands on it. I have one friend who has it and uses it for everything day to day, but not in the water beyond rain & snow. She loves it and has several 8x10 (one might even be bigger, can't remember) displayed and they look lovely.

There are tons of choices out there and not every camera will be right for every user. Most of the cameras from the major players will do an OK job for most people's needs. If you have needs that are a little more demanding than Auntie Jean, then you might have to look a little more closely.

Have fun shopping!

I know, the more I think about it the more I want to keep the a620, but I CANNOT find a housing for this thing ANYWHERE!

Hmmm, I don't see one either. Digideep.com says there is an Ikelite for it but no Canon housing listed. Searching old posts here found that the model number is WP-DC90 for the Canon housing for the A620...

Maybe you'll have to buy two new ones - something like the A570 and an SD :) Shopping is fun :D

JFYI, I don't believe the 620 is in production anymore. I also think the 570IS is not either or soon will not be as soon as stock is gone. It is always best to buy a camera and a housing together. Given that the obsolesence cycle for these sorts of electronic goods is about six months, you cannot buy a camera and then six months or a year later think to get a housing, you may or may not be able to. I also don't think that a single camera for all purposes, land and U/W is a good idea. Your U/W camera should be a dedicated unit and in the case of small inexpenive cameras maybe even get a spare. For land use and general use I would prefer a more sturdy camera made from metal with gasketed controls so it is rain and "outdoors" proof. The 570/630/720 etc are nice birthday/kid and family indoor cameras but are made of plastic and not very rugged. However, once installed into a suitable housing they become photographic machines--Doc Jekyl and Mr Hide almost.

N

Thanks everyone.
I think I am going to go with the a720 and its housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom