Looking for side view purge mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yrbabygirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking to buy an experienced diver a side view purge mask for the Christmas. I however am newly certified and I dont yet know what brands to shop, what brands to stay away from, etc...
If you have any suggestions for a good side view mask with a purge, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

And a side view one, at that?

Well mostly because its what he wants. He likes having the additional view range to see more and he likes the idea of having the benefit of the purge. I would say the added view is more important to him than the purge. We have seen masks with both though and that's what he said he wanted.

I hear what you are saying, but let me explain this to you. We have stopped carring the purge masks in our shop mainly because of problems (caps falling off or valve failures) occurring with them. Secondly, you actually have less vision with a mask that has side windows and that is due to the fact that the lens is further away from your face. The mask with the best vision on the market is the Atomic Frameless mask followed by the Oceanic Shadow (Framless) mask. The key word with both of these masks is "frameless" and because of this design they are able to get the mask lens closer to your face, thus providing the most upward and downward vision you can get.

AA-framelessmask-2.jpg

The last thing that pertains to vision underwater is going with a Black Skirt over a clear one. Divers are actually more focused underwater with the all black mask. Hope you don't mind but I thought that I would just give you some guidance so that you buy the right thing the first time around.

Another thing to consider is fit. It is near impossible to buy a new mask for someone else. I got my sister a mask for Christmas by letting her try out a couple of mine first. Easiest way to find the mask with side windows and possibly a purge is to use LeisurePro website. Select masks, purge, windows to filter. This will give an idea of selection and price ranges.
Masks | Scuba Masks, Snorkeling Masks, Swim Masks at LeisurePro.com

I still use purge masks. I have not had problems with the newer soft silicon purges in over 10 years. As with any equipment proper preventive maintenance is a must. I use SEADIVE TruVu Rayblockers as does my sister. I have the EagleEye SL with a purge and the Monarch. These are not low volume masks, but they work great for long surface swims in the bright California sunshine and good clarity for low visibility conditions. They are also marketed under Oceanways. The Monarch is not a true frameless. Dive Gear Express may have a new RayBlocker frameless I will have to try out.
http://www.amazon.com/Oceanways-SeaDive-Superview-Anti-Fog-
Purge/dp/B004NFYDN8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_

http://www.divegearexpress.com/essentials/rb-hd.shtml

I would never buy a mask off the Internet unless I was sure it would fit me. Exception was the mask I got my sister because she already tried it out in her pool. When trying out masks, I go to several shops and try on masks by gently pressing it against my face. If it forms a suction, it may fit. I then check masks for optical clarity and field of view. Finally I try it out in a pool first in case I have to return it. I am into comfort and what works best for me. So comfort and fit are very important when buying a mask or any SCUBA gear.

I am under the impression that most major manufactures have acceptable quality products or they would not be in business. There are reviews available for most masks on LeisurePro with purge and side windows.

Last edited:
Purge masks in general are a debated topic here on SB, but since you asked...

I use and like the Tusa Imprex Hyperdry purge mask (M32)

Tabata USA, Inc. - NEW : M-32 IMPREX 3D HYPERDRY [M-32]

You can get it with a clear or black skirt. It has side windows, yes but it isn't like you can really view things directly through them. I can though tell which side of me my buddy is on when we cross paths or situations like that without looking that way and turning my head, which is nice. I can see color and objects in my periphery. I have let 7 different people try this mask and 5 of them have bought one.

Some people don't like purge masks, I won't debate them here. I can only tell you that they are easy to dive with easy to clear and keep clear, have great field of view, and more. There is a valve in the nose pocket similar to your exhaust valve in your regulator, it can leak and let water in if it gets sand in it or something, it literally takes just a few minutes to remove the valve clean it and put it back in. I bought a couple of replacement valves from the local shop, they ordered them, no problem, cost $2. I have never actually had to replace one. I have three of these masks. One for me, one for the wife and a spare, never had a problem with any of them. 4 years and many dives and pool sessions later, still no problems, not one.

One down side to this particular mask...for me it takes 2 hands to squeeze my nose in order to equalize. You use your index finger on each hand. took a little bit to get used to but not long and it wasn't hard, just different.

The XS-Scuba M-line masks are excellent. Not the cheaper XS line.

The purges "work" and they have great vis. Plus the best mask straps with Neopren pad comes with it. Super easy to adjust.

Gezzzz, I just hate these "Purge Mask / BP-W" debates, divers use what they like, after they develope their own minds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom