Looking for Scapa Flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JayJudge:
Wow, thanks again for all the information. As for tech- I think all of us are deco/nitrox certified, no trimix. We are trying to keep a level field and similar profiles. The same week I posted this, one of the others got a copy of a British dive mag that had Scapa 3D. That has gotten a few more on board. What about the availability of doubles, DIN fittings, etc. Also, aside from Cold water, what about current, vis, waves, etc. I don't always believe what magazines claim about vis- we dive North Carolina, New Jersey, and Virginia- average depth 90-130 ftsw, Jersey vis up to 30 feet-though claimed higher. One more thing- any customs of the area we should be aware of? I know the wrecks are look, don't take, but I don't want to start pub fights, either.
Sorry for so many questions, but this is a large undertaking, as it will be our club's first international trip.
Thanks again,
-Jay
The WW1 wrecks are diveable on air/nitrox, you won't need trimix. The deepest are the battleships the bottom is in the 40m range. Twinsets can be hired from diveshops on shore, if you want to use the boats cylinders you'll have to go indies. The all tend to be A clamp, but most valves are convertable to DIN. When I was there is September we had vis ranging from 10-20m. One particularily rough day reduced the vis to about 5m. I never noticed any currents on the German wrecks, there is a lot on the block ships when the tide turns, yeeehaaa :D

There wasn't any local customs I was aware of, smoking in confined public places is banned in Scotalnd and the Isles, that's about it.

HTH

If you want to tempt any more to join you, or just want to really whet you appetite, then visit John Thornton's site – www.scapaflow.com – and get a copy of his DVD on the wrecks of Scapa. Just got a copy for review and it is great – can't wait for my next trip up there in May!

I've done several trips up there and the worst vis we ever had on the German wrecks in the middle of the Flow was 3-4 metres, the best more than 10-12 metres. I would have said if you expect around 6-8 metres as an average, you wouldn't be far off, from what I have experienced.

The blockships, being in the sounds, get much better vis because of the currents, and make exciting second dives.

Mark

JayJudge:
Wow, thanks again for all the information. As for tech- I think all of us are deco/nitrox certified, no trimix. We are trying to keep a level field and similar profiles. The same week I posted this, one of the others got a copy of a British dive mag that had Scapa 3D. That has gotten a few more on board. What about the availability of doubles, DIN fittings, etc. Also, aside from Cold water, what about current, vis, waves, etc. I don't always believe what magazines claim about vis- we dive North Carolina, New Jersey, and Virginia- average depth 90-130 ftsw, Jersey vis up to 30 feet-though claimed higher. One more thing- any customs of the area we should be aware of? I know the wrecks are look, don't take, but I don't want to start pub fights, either.
Sorry for so many questions, but this is a large undertaking, as it will be our club's first international trip.
Thanks again,
-Jay

The depths of the German fleet mean they are ideal for diving with 30% as a back gas - personally I wouldn't bother with a 50% stage for most of the wrecks. I think all of the operators have on board nitrox now - aim for a new 30% in the afternoon and an air top off for the morning dive with/without a 50%.
The wrecks all start relatively shallow - between 15-25m and go down to between 28m on hte Karlsruhe and 35-40m for the others. All the others, with the possible exception of the Markgraf offer good multi-depth diving, starting deep and working up all are quite different - but all are becoming much more unstable. it is perfectly possible to while away an hour or so on the wreck itself.
The Markgraf is my favorite, but after diving it 30 or so times I still don't know it all, but the most interesting part is down to the seabed and underneath.
Twins would need to be organised in advance, don't just assume the boat will have enough in use at any one time - but most boats will be able to organise them given time.
All the boats work on 2 dives a day, with a reasonable break in the middle - some come ashore at Lyness ( worth doing at least once, and aim to eat at the cafe at eh museum) Most tie up in Stromness overnight, with probably one night elsewhere.
I usually dive with John Thornton on the Karin - the boat isn't luxurious, but it has everything I want - and more importantly is a good stable dive platform, any gas I want and a skipper I trust. The Halton is also fine, as is the jean elaine.
Unlike most US charters all divers go in within 10 minutes or so of each other, longest run times first. On the blockships expect to be in quicker, already having dumped all air and drop fast - or miss the wreck.
Generally the sea in the Flow is ok to dive, only once been blown out in the summer, but more often in the winter - you do get a nasty sharp sea sometimes - but the bigger boats will be fine.
make sure everyone is capable of putting up a dsmb, some skippers want one up per diver - it's sometimes better not to go back to the shotline.

Id love to do scapa but from here its cheaper and far faster to go to egypt for a week.

You're right, but you don't get to dive World War One German battleships in Egypt...

I know what you mean, though. I am doing a long weekend trip in May, and if I was paying full costs, it would be in the region of £650-700 per person, and that's for eight dives, four nights B&B and ferry crossings. Fuel will be on top of that.

Still one of those places that all British divers should dive at least once, though, especially if they are into wrecks and history. And having a good craic!

String, one day you will have to bite the bullet and embark on the epic trek northwards - the siren call of Scapa will become too strong...

Mark

Add on the price of fuel and possible overnight plus the fact it takes effectively 2 days each way and thats way more than a flight to the red sea and far far longer.

From here assuming a perfect ferry connection and you dont stop you're looking at 14hrs. Realistically thats a full day, maybe 1.5

Fuel wise, conservatively £70 each way

Generally egypt return flight takes 4 hours. Call it 6.5 to allow getting to/from airport etc and costs about £80 return.

Scapa is far more expensive and far more time consuming.

Plus theres the fact the UK has the most dismal depressing climate on the entire planet so if going anywhere for a week its nice to get some guaranteed nice weather instead of drizzle,fog,wind which you get every single day the rest of the year!

String:
Add on the price of fuel and possible overnight plus the fact it takes effectively 2 days each way and thats way more than a flight to the red sea and far far longer.

From here assuming a perfect ferry connection and you dont stop you're looking at 14hrs. Realistically thats a full day, maybe 1.5

Fuel wise, conservatively £70 each way

Generally egypt return flight takes 4 hours. Call it 6.5 to allow getting to/from airport etc and costs about £80 return.

Scapa is far more expensive and far more time consuming.

Plus theres the fact the UK has the most dismal depressing climate on the entire planet so if going anywhere for a week its nice to get some guaranteed nice weather instead of drizzle,fog,wind which you get every single day the rest of the year!

We are running a trip up there at the end of may. Its gonna cost £500 for transportation (taking a minibus) a stop off on the way up, all diving, all accomodation and all your air. Nitrox, meals and beer all extra...so its not that bad

Diving Doc:
We are running a trip up there at the end of may. Its gonna cost £500 for transportation (taking a minibus) a stop off on the way up, all diving, all accomodation and all your air. Nitrox, meals and beer all extra...so its not that bad

That isn't a bad price. Man, the current ferry costs shocked me – I've always gone from Scrabster in the past, this time I am doing a 'long weekend' style on the ferry from Aberdeen. It is £20 per person each way, and £82 per car each way, and that is if you kip in the sleeper seats. You can add another £70-99 for a twin cabin each way if you want more comfort/privacy.

Still, costs aside, it is still well worth doing!

Mark

MarkUK:
That isn't a bad price. Man, the current ferry costs shocked me – I've always gone from Scrabster in the past, this time I am doing a 'long weekend' style on the ferry from Aberdeen. It is £20 per person each way, and £82 per car each way, and that is if you kip in the sleeper seats. You can add another £70-99 for a twin cabin each way if you want more comfort/privacy.

Still, costs aside, it is still well worth doing!

Mark

gonna be my first time, other people usually get the jolly instead!!!

Cant wait

Back
Top Bottom