Looking for Rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bucktail

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I am a newly certified diver and have done a few rig dives over the last few weeks with a buddy who is equally inexperienced in rig dives. I run an offshore-capable center console boat out of Matagorda, and I am looking for some of the better rigs to dive. So far, I have hit several rigs in the 28-32 mile range in blue and not-so-blue water.

I know from my fishing experience that some rigs hold more fish than others, but are there some rigs that for whatever reason are better than others for diving? Also, any tips for rig dives (other than stay within the legs) are appreciated.

Are the Matagorda liberty ships worth diving?

Sorry for the rookie questions, but just looking to tap the collective experience here. Thanks.
B.

Well, a good tip, if you are diving the rigs, I'd leave a person on board to act as DM, while you and your buddy dive the structure (hopefully staying within the legs). This way, if something were to happen, he could pull the boat away, or come chase y'all in the event of a current sweeping you away. Other than that, the further away, the bluer it seems to get. On that note, how big is your boat, ft. wise?

The more complex the leg structure the more diverse the dive. Liberty ships can be good if blue water is in and the nephloid layer is not cover the ships. The only way you are going to find it out is to dive it. Viz can be great and than it can be poor. same with the current. AS summer gets close the blue water comes in and viz gets better.

chairmanTARAC:
The more complex the leg structure the more diverse the dive. Liberty ships can be good if blue water is in and the nephloid layer is not cover the ships. The only way you are going to find it out is to dive it. Viz can be great and than it can be poor. same with the current. AS summer gets close the blue water comes in and viz gets better.
Is there any dive charters that go to the Matagorda Liberty ships?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Teknadv3x:
Is there any dive charters that go to the Matagorda Liberty ships?

Thanks in advance
Dave

I'm not sure but you might want to try Ultra Dive or Wolf Charters.

Bucktail:
Also, any tips for rig dives (other than stay within the legs) are appreciated.

I think having someone tend the boat for rescue duty was the best tip but I'll add wear a full length wetsuit and gloves.

Bucktail:
Are the Matagorda liberty ships worth diving?

You may want to look up the V.A. Fogg. It's near the Libery ships and I've heard better things about it.

I have heard the VA Fogg was a good dive. I have fished it before, and it can be a parking lot on the weekend with all of the boats fishing and diving. At one time on the web I had seen a map/diagram of all of the structure down there but can't find it now.

As long as the weather holds it looks like I will be making a run out somewhere on Saturday.

Bucktail.......

Just curious.....are you trailering your rig? What is LOA and if you trailer do you leave thru Freeport? Thanks.

Regards,

Cudabait:
Bucktail.......

Just curious.....are you trailering your rig? What is LOA and if you trailer do you leave thru Freeport? Thanks.

Regards,
I am running a 26' Triton with twin 200 Yamahas that I keep in Matagorda dry storage. I used to run out of Freeport, but I got tired of the crummy facilities and the weekend crowds. It is well worth the extra commute time to get to the boat, and I am enjoying learning a new area of the Gulf. I figure I can still hit most of the Freeport fishing spots and also fish/dive many of the places the Port Aransas guys normally fish. The silting up of the jettys will become a significant problem if they dont dredge down there soon, though.

The option of trailering the boat any significant distance went out the window when gasoline hit $2.75 a gallon.

Here is some imfo that might be helpful.

MATAGORDA,TEXAS
LIBERTY SHIPS (3)
DWIGHT L.MOODY JIM BRIDGER GEORGE DEWEY

(NAD27 DATUM)
USING THE NAD27 DATUM. THE CENTER POINT OF THE REEF SITE WAS DETERMINED BY DGPS
DGPS TO BE 26' O6' 57,832N AND 96' O5'
13.7O1' W(BLOCK 616). THIS POINT CAN BE REACHED BY SAILING 21 MILES ON A
139'HEADING FROM THE MATAGORDA JETTIES.

REFF COMPONENT NORTH LATITUDE WEST LONGITUDE
LIBERTY SHIP 28'O6 58.757" 96'O5' 11.193"

LIBERTY SHIP 28'O6 59.2O9" 96'O5' 16.9O3"

LIBERTY SHIP 28'O6 54.467" 96'O5' O8.486"

(NAD83 DATUM)
BY THE NAD83 DATUM. THE CENTER POINT OF THE MATAGORDA ISLAND LIBERTY SHIP
REEF IS LOCATED AT 26'O6' 58.8O6"N AND 96'O5' 14.542"W (BLOCK 616)

REEF COMPONENT NORTH LATITUDE WEST LONGITUDE
LIBERTY SHIP 28'O6' 59.732" 96'O6' 12.O35

LIBERTY SHIP 28'O7' OO.183" 96'O5' 17.745"

LIBERTY SHIP 28'O6' 55.442" 96'O5' O9.327"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom