Looking for recommendations on well-rounded diving destinations in the Caribbean.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grand Cayman has it all above and below water. I would also recommend Cobalt Coast Dive Resort as the best dive resort. They have it all from boat diving to awesome shore diving 24/7. This Northwest side of the island was voted the healthiest reefs in all the Cayman Islands by NOAA.

Grand Cayman has it all above and below water. I would also recommend Cobalt Coast Dive Resort as the best dive resort. They have it all from boat diving to awesome shore diving 24/7. The mini wall at Cobalt is called Sea Fan Reef for a reason. This Northwest side of the island was voted the healthiest reefs in all the Cayman Islands by NOAA.

The new wreck USS Kittiwake is also just minutes from their dock. This is a most do dive, along with Ghost Mountain, Bears Paw and Lemon Wall. The pinnacles and canyons out front of Divetech's Lighthouse Point shore dive are just awesome.

Thanks again, everyone! I will research some more on these destinations. I did not realize Grand Cayman had tunnels and swim-throughs. I liked the Cathedrals on Lanai very much. This sounds promising.

I would recommend the maya rivierra in mexico. You have cavern diving in the cenotes, and off shore reefs and wrecks. Great viz, plus you have whale shark tours

Grand Cayman has some amazing swim throughs...some filled with tarpon and silversides. We dove the East End while we were there and "Snapper Hole" was our favorite. Apparently I missed out not diving with Cobalt Coast...and all the other dive spots that divejay recommended. Maybe next time !

+1 for Grand Cayman. We normally dive the west and north sides, but based on your description of preferred diving, I would recommend the east end for you. But the island is small so you are not locked into any particular area. I'd love to spend a year there and dive a different site every day until I had done them all at least once.

I am planning to spend probably about 7-8 days of diving in the Caribbean. I have seen many "top N" dive site rankings, and I did not find them particularly useful. I would like to dive, say, in the blue hole in Belize, or the Bloody Bay wall on the Little Cayman, but maybe not for 7 days in a row. Are the other nearby sites equally exciting? Trying to sort this out on my own for each Carribean destination is hard, given the sheer number of places to choose among. Island hopping is not an option, I feel it incurs too much overhead. I am looking for a well-rounded destination that has multiple quality sites in close proximity (such as, one hour of driving), and possibly something to do other than to eat or sleep in the afternoons (more diving, good snorkeling, tropical forests to walk into, or whatever), and also quality hotels and restaurants and overall good infrastructure.

As far as the type of diving, I am looking for deeper sites with excellent visibility and some dramatic scenery, possibly more than just endless fields of coral. On some of our recent trips to Hawaii, I have enjoyed the Corsair wreck dive on Oahu, the Molokini backwall, the Reef's End drift and the Pinnacles on Maui, and Cathedrals on Lanai. So far, we have been rather disappointed by the shallower and shore dives. I found muddy green waters not quite as inspiring. We have plenty of ship wrecks here in NYC in a cold muddy water, and I am looking for something dramatically different. I think I am particularly growing to like drift diving.

I think your requirements describe easily 100 places in the Caribbean. Just take a map and throw 3 darts at it, do a little research wherever they hit and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for. If those dive sites in Hawaii impressed you, you're going to be easy to please. Throw your darts, pick one, when you get back you still have 99 more to keep you busy for the rest of your life.

Thank you for your responses.

@Thalassamania: It sounds interesting, but totally out of my league... I think about 100-110 feet is our limit, and we would not attempt any overhead environment.

@Codeman00: I think my wife is probably not ready yet to enjoy a live aboard. Building her enthusiasm for scuba diving takes time, we just did her AOW. I am not sure how comfortable it can get, I never did one myself. Do you have any recommendations? The first time we do it, it ought to be a buttery-smooth ride, on a sterile clean boat that smells like strawberries, with a top-notch professional and friendly crew...

If your limited to less than100' forget the Blue Hole, it doesn't get good until about 130' but it's well worth the trip!

Grand Cayman has it all above and below water. I would also recommend Cobalt Coast Dive Resort as the best dive resort. They have it all from boat diving to awesome shore diving 24/7. This Northwest side of the island was voted the healthiest reefs in all the Cayman Islands by NOAA.
Let's be accurate, NOAA does not "rate" foreign reefs.

The Cayman Islands Department of Environment is supposed to have provided some measure of assistance to nine marine scientists, allegedly all Ph.D.s who work for NOAA, but that I have not been able to confirm. The story goes that they were there assessing the health of the three islands reefs, with special attention to the health of hard corals like elkhorn, staghorn, black coral and soft corals like sea fans and gorgonians. Again, I have not been able to confirm this and why nine NOAA Ph.D.'s would be working in Cayman seems a bit strange to me. Anyway, the claim is that after a 3 week tour all nine said that the reefs at Cobalt Coast were by far the healthiest reefs of all 3 islands. I'd have to have some confirmation before I were to believe a word of this. The only reference besides here on ScubaBoard that I can find is a claim by Joe Stebbins, the Editor of the Cayman Activity Guide.

NOAA does maintain two observation sites, one at ICON reef on Little Cayman close to the LCRC, and another on Andes Reef, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. The NOAA website that describes these installations, however, states: "This combination of water quality, diverse coral and fish species, and abundance of easily seen large mammals and fish is also why Little Cayman has been rated the top diving destination in the Caribbean many times over. " and makes no mention of the reefs at Cobalt Coast.

I will be very happy to give you the names of the 9 NOAA scientist and the Cayman Islands DOE staff that were just blown away by the what they saw from Spanish Bay and Hepp's Wall on the Northwest side of Grand Cayman.

It all started when I posted pictures of large stands of Elkhorn, Stagehorn, Hugh barrels (10'), 8' black coral tree and fields of Sea Fans. They were blown away by the pictures and had to see for themselves.

That morning started out just walking down the dock at Cobalt Coast Resort and they saw from the dock large stands of Elkhorn and 100's of Sea Fans. After the whole day of tours at their debriefing they all said that after 3 weeks of seeing all three islands that this area was by far the healthiest reefs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom