Looking for recommendations on a drysuit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ican

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Since getting drysuit certified, I decided I needed my own suit. I've been on 5 drysuit dives, all but one were in a back zip suit that I rented from my LDS. The 1 dive that I was in a front entry suit, let's just say I'm afraid one day I won't be able to get in or out of that kind of suit. I'm 6'2" and 235lbs, and while I'm not out of shape, I'm no longer in good shape either. I'm 36 years old so I'm not as flexible as I once was. I'm looking for a recommendation for a material, brand, and style of drysuit to fit my needs of diving in the damn cold waters of the Great Lakes and other Wisconsin lakes. I get chilled slightly at 50 degrees with a Hollis "snowsuit" under my drysuit, but at 60, I could stay there forever with unlimited air.

I'd also like a recommendation for a suit for my son. He's 6'1" and about 150lbs soaking wet. Small wetsuits are too big for him because he is a beanpole, and he shivers halfway through a 2 hour dive in a 78 degree pool. I know he will grow out of anything I buy for him in the next year, so something that will last about a year would be nice. I don't want to spend thousands on a suit that he will only use for 5 dives and be too tall for. Should I stick with rentals for him until he's done sprouting?

Reactions: Jax
the Santi eMotion Drysuit is a great suit. front zipper, easy entry and very well made.
my favorite suits though are DUI. They tend to be a bit more $$ but come in a wider range of sizes including custom fit, they are made (and serviced) here in the US. There are a number of different models. absolutely great suits. My new custom made FLX Extreme DUI suit is due to ship any day. i cannot recommend their service, support, and quality enough

For dry suit courses I use a DUI TLS in the pool. Suit was my go to suit for many years and has held up very well.
For personal open water diving and Florida caves I use a Santi eMotion. Great suit with many features I like that my DUI just didn't have.
For our local caves I use a [-]Whites[/-] Aqua Lung Fusion Bullet because I can't bring myself to squeezing through some spots in my Santi.

I've also been fairly impressed with Fourth Element suits. Now I have yet to dive one but have tried a couple models on for size. Last I looked they had semi custom options.
A buddy dives a Waterproof D1 and stays very warm in cold waters.

For you son I would look at a Fusion, they have more flexibility in size than most shell suits and will not break the bank.

For under garments I'm use [-]Whites[/-] Aqua Lung Thermal Fusion with a thermal base layer in our 38F caves and can stay warm for hours.
Thermal Fusion is similar in warmth to the Fourth Element Arctic. When my Thermal Fusion wears out, probably end of this season, I'll change to a Fourth Element Halo3D for those 38 degree dives.

i've seen the whites fusion suits going for silly prices as they've been bought out by aqua lung. if you can get hold of one i'm sure you could get a good deal. i own a fourth element argonaut very happy. here in the uk as well as the US the santi suits are very popular. not sure if you can get them in the states but o three are very popular here. believe all the suits except the whites you can get made to measure.

When I did research, one point I saw in so many DUI suits is how people raved about how DUI would do the suit over if it wasn't 'right'. Over and over until it was 'perfect'. My reaction was, "I am paying 3K for a suit that has to be done over and over and . . . ." Also, even though the DUI reps take the measurement (because they are trained to do it right), people still were getting ill-fitted suits.

Otherwise, the best bet is to try as many as you can. Every one of them has good points and not-so-good points. I, like your son, freeze to death. I like my Black Ice because of the wool lining. Make sure you store it with mothballs if you live in an area with moths.

Santi is getting rave reviews these days.

The White's Fusion tri-lam was a favorite, but has fallen out of favor because of the amount of undergarment you need to wear.

Your son will need to remember to leave room for undergarments. If the suit fits in the showroom, it won't fit undergarments.

My $.02 . . . .

---------- Post added November 27th, 2015 at 07:40 AM ----------

Doctormike is offering a good deal.

And have I got a deal for the OP!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...-motion-dry-suit-sitech-dry-glove-system.html

Let me know if you have any questions....

Check out Seaskin Nova made-to-measure suits. They're made in England, super inexpensive, custom fit with whatever options you want. Love mine!

The important thing with a diagonal front-zip is that the torso is either made long, or with a telescoping section like the DUI's. That may be why you had trouble getting out of your front-zip. The Fusion ones don't have the same issue as their zipper configuration is different.

I have a bare d6 pro dry with site ch ring cuffs the neoprene keeps me warm and it's fexible it is rear entry though but easy to do and doff I also only wear a pair of jogging pants wool socks and sweater in 45f water the neoprene also adds flotation so that is a downside on the plus side a neoprene suit is easy to alter with blindstiching and I had the torso elongated by eight inches by my lds it is also a good entry level drysuit that accommodates many alterations as for your son I would either look for a well priced used drysuit or stick to rentals

I have a Whites Fusion Bullet that I paid $2800 that is up for sale for $1799. It comes complete and ready to dive. You and I are about the same size and it fits me great. The nice thing about the Bullet is it is not a one size fits one person suit. You can lose a few pounds or gain a few pounds and be just fine. The extternal skin is flexible and moves with you. The inner bag is very tough. I knew a lady that was wearing a Whites when she fell off of a boat and tore the outer skin. When she got back on the boat the outer skin had a small repairable tear and the inner bag was completely damage free. These are tough suits that can take a beating and keep on going. I should also mention that her skin was a lighter Tech Skin version, the Bullet is much tougher and would work great in your area with the cold and all. If you have questions or would like pictures please feel free to PM me and I can send you any info you want. This suit would work good for either of you although it might be a bit baggy on your son.

Whites (Aqualung) Fusion is a good, durable, easy-to-dive suit for a reasonable price. Cheap, in fact, if compared to DUI or Santi. It is a front entry suit which you can zip without help. For OW dives I would choose the Sport skin which is light for traveling and quick to dry. It is the cheapest, too. For more tech dives you may use shorts for pockets. Or buy a Tech skin. Fusion Tech is the balanced all-rounder and pretty indestructible. I would not buy the Bullet - no need for the bulk. Thermal Fusion undergarment was warm enough to dive at 39F, but for the dollars you save preferring Fusion over DUI or Santi you may buy a heated vest. Fusion is a tad more difficult to don, but it is manageable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom