Looking for recomendations G250v or c300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think any of my g250 or g200 regs, other than my G250v does this....

I vaguely remember that as a feature on R190s. My only old plastics are D-series but will keep an eye out.

I think this is the R190 button AWAP is referring to that acts as a seat saver.

IMG_3116.JPG
IMG_3115.JPG

Isn't one of the advatages of a balanced secondstage, when the system is not pressurised there is only light spring pressue on the seat? And if user adjustable and you back-off the adjustment even lighter pressure.

Isn't one of the advatages of a balanced secondstage, when the system is not pressurised there is only light spring pressue on the seat? And if user adjustable and you back-off the adjustment even lighter pressure.

Yes.

Scubapro has well proven designs for both balaned and unbalanced barrel poppet 2nds. Why would they introduce a very different design using unique, non-ccompatible parts?

I suspect they are taking a shot at engineering obsolesence into new products.

I really like Scubapro's approach of making new changes retrofittable into older designs. There are numerous examples:

- The Pilot (which was superb but hard to service and bit touchy in service) could be retrofitted with Air 1 internals.
-The unbalanced "Adjustable" second stage could be upgraded to "Balanced Adjustable" status.
- The unbalanced G200 second stage could be upgraded to the balanced G200B configuration.
- The unbalanced G200 or balanced G200B could be upgraded to the balanced and adjustable G250 configuration.
- The, current S wing poppet used in the S600 is, 30 years later, still compatible with the Balanced Adjustable, G200B and G250.
- The Mk 10 could be upgraded to the Mk 10 Plus configuration.
- Any of the many Mk 20 configurations could be upgraded to the latest of the Mk 25 configurations, and that included all the changes in the TIS system right put to the most recent Mk 25 EVO changes (where Scubapro seems to have departed from past practice by using different threads on the swivel cap).

The C series second stages are initialed after a new designer at Scubapro and they are intended to meet demand in Europe for a higher performing unbalanced second stage. They do that very well. The 200 and 300 had some initial issues with the guide system for the poppet, which could cause it to stick if sand got in the groove in the air barrel. Scubapro didn't make supportive noises when I pointed out this was a problem in silty passage side mount diving, but none the less it did not take them long to modify the poppet and air barrel to resolve the situation. They don't like negative feedback from their real work divers and technicians, after they've drunk the Kool aide from their pretty fish diving sales reps who seem to e tasked with the testing, but they do seem to listen to it eventually.

Still the current C series regs are solid performers and while I'm a solid G250 fan, if you're looking for a smaller profile regulator one of the C series regs is hard to beat.

Ideally, it will lift the seat entirely off the orifice to prevent the seat from taking a set.

Way back in the days of the "High Performance", "Adjustable" and "Balanced Adjustable" (mid 1970s through the late 1980s, Scubapro provided a key to insert in the purge cover. The early keys were oblong shaped things that wedged between the outer cover and inner purge cover. The later keys were small plastic keys that inserted in the "S" emblem in the middle of the rubber purge cover.

The downside of this approach is that it does leave the system open, so it's got some downsides if you leave your regs stored in a damp environment, or if you leave it in the garage where critters can crawl in it. But if you do either of those things you've got much bigger concerns than a seat taking a set.

I had a few ear-opening free flows when pressurizing my R190 that was still engaged in the seat-saver position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom