Looking for reasonably priced, mid weight drysuit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not crazy about heavyweight undergarment, because they restrict my range of motion, severely.
If it does, it's a bad fit. Or a too small drysuit, without the necessary space for necessary undergarments.

Freezing you a** off sucks more than most other alternatives. Dress for the temperature.

The new Waterproof Body 2X undergarments work really well and they are priced good also (almost half that of Fourth Element). I've done hour long dives in 48* water with just those undergarments. And I am very cold natured.
Is the Waterproof body 2x thicker/heavier than arctic? How about its buoyancy characteristic?

Base layer: wool. There's a lot of products out there, and unfortunately the great ones cost an arm and a leg. Not that you can't make do with cheaper alternatives, though. But if you can find woolmesh, I strongly recommend it.

Mid layer: whatever you can afford. I used to love the Thinsulate/fleece combos, but they're generally less flexible than the pure fleece undersuits available these days. My current winter undersuit is a Polish job, a No Gravity. Works pretty well.
+1 on this. Leave the synthetics, and go for wool (mesh or otherwize) baselayers.
Personally I prefer a different kind of polish job, the Kwark Navy (Extreme for long and cold overhead). Superb combo of moveability, warmth and it works even with leaks. However, pricepoint is up there.
But... Wool... wool... wool... (And absolutely no cotton!) and a really good fatty, proteinrich breakfast.

I use a cheap Decathlon 150g hunting fleece thermals for temps above 16C, and for temps below I use an Avatar undersuit which is 450g I believe (I was planing on combinig if needed, but so far, I've been to 4C water with it and it works great). As for the Decathlon fleece, size up, since they shirk a lot form washing. They're not super durable, but they are dirt cheap. There are also hiking fleece pants which have strech which I think they're going to be a bit more durable, I'm gonna get them next where the current ones are too much torn.

Just a quick follow up on this old thread that I bumped into and the question above that remained unanswered: can anybody compare the Waterproof Body 2x with Fourth Element Arctic with regards to warmst? (or Kwark Navy?)

I was looking at buying the Arctic for warmer to mid temperature range as I'm getting into drysuit diving. But my local shop gave me the Waterproof for the class and it fits me quite well, so I'm torn. Waterproof is a one piece and I like the zipper as it allows to vent while topside. For the Arctic I was planning on going with the separate pieces as the pants seem to go up high and it gives some flexibility to combine undergarments. So I'm torn on the one vs two piece. Warmth will decide what I go with though.

Temperature range is 22°C roughly, down to at least 10°C as the first thermocline even in summer is around 12°C in local lakes. For winter or deep dives I'll probably need something warmer.

Deleted

Just a quick follow up on this old thread that I bumped into and the question above that remained unanswered: can anybody compare the Waterproof Body 2x with Fourth Element Arctic with regards to warmst? (or Kwark Navy?)

I was looking at buying the Arctic for warmer to mid temperature range as I'm getting into drysuit diving. But my local shop gave me the Waterproof for the class and it fits me quite well, so I'm torn. Waterproof is a one piece and I like the zipper as it allows to vent while topside. For the Arctic I was planning on going with the separate pieces as the pants seem to go up high and it gives some flexibility to combine undergarments. So I'm torn on the one vs two piece. Warmth will decide what I go with though.

Temperature range is 22°C roughly, down to at least 10°C as the first thermocline even in summer is around 12°C in local lakes. For winter or deep dives I'll probably need something warmer.
I have no experience with the waterproofs, but i love both my Kwark Navy and Navy Extreme. Live in Norway and do anything from -1C winter Oslofjord dives, through long 4c plura cave dives to summerdiving in balming waters. I'd call the Navy a really nice 3 season suit for my use. For winter diving in the fjord Neg2-4deg depending on grade of slushiness it is too cold for me. The Navy Extreme on the other hand is (when new) perfect for winter diving, and slightly too warm for summer diving.

When I bought a drysuit and one undergarment, the total tax was about $90. But later when I bought just one undergarment, I didn't get a tax bill at all.

How long was the lead time for just the undergarment? Question for @laikabear or anyone else who has placed an order with Seaskin for only undergarments without a drysuit.

I have no experience with the waterproofs, but i love both my Kwark Navy and Navy Extreme. Live in Norway and do anything from -1C winter Oslofjord dives, through long 4c plura cave dives to summerdiving in balming waters. I'd call the Navy a really nice 3 season suit for my use. For winter diving in the fjord Neg2-4deg depending on grade of slushiness it is too cold for me. The Navy Extreme on the other hand is (when new) perfect for winter diving, and slightly too warm for summer diving.
Thanks for your reply. I've heard mixed reviews of Kwark. What do you wear underneath?
In the meantime I've had the opportunity to try a few suits and have found out that apparently fit might be the biggest challenge. None of the ones I tried fit... I'll order the FE arctic for warmer temps now that my drysuit is on its way. But still looking for a cold water undergarment. So I guess I'll try to find a Kwark Extreme somewhere to try on.

Thanks for your reply. I've heard mixed reviews of Kwark. What do you wear underneath?
In the meantime I've had the opportunity to try a few suits and have found out that apparently fit might be the biggest challenge. None of the ones I tried fit... I'll order the FE arctic for warmer temps now that my drysuit is on its way. But still looking for a cold water undergarment. So I guess I'll try to find a Kwark Extreme somewhere to try on.
Under the kwark i wear anything from undies, to 2 layers merino and a Trojan heated vest.
That being said. There are absolutely warmer undergarments than the kwark, but when it comes to warmth/maneuvarability/sizeability, the kwark won for me. (Tall girl, with hips. Horrible to fit in anything)
So, I could move, I could find a kwark that fit, and I can tailor "warmth" with layers underneath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom