Looking for Rail Cars at Porteau Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mustang_5l

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So I've heard the stories about there being some old rail cars and locomotives that crashed around the bend at Porteau Cove. Randy and I thought that we would go see if we could find any traces of them. So far we have found fresh rubble, from the last landslide, very long rail lines that zig zag their way through the rubble and point to go deeper. We also discovered a rail car wheel and some other debris in the same area. We made it to about 120fsw before we decided to turn the dive. I've also heard stories that the cars are in very deep water - 170fsw+ so until we can safely get down there we'll have to put this one on hold. Sorry for the horrid pictures. Thats what you get with crappy cameras and not much light! (rail line, rail car wheel, Me scootering past the Granthal) On another note there are also reports of some old cars in the same area too... we'll be looking for those too.

Attachments

• Diving 009.jpg
    Diving 009.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 101
  • PICT0212.jpg
    PICT0212.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 91
  • PICT0216.jpg
    PICT0216.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 105
Cool, I know they exist but finding them is tough. Having a scooter works great as you can cover a lot of territory while searching. Good find.

Nice work exploring the area, makes me want to upgrade my gear

Hi Mustang_5I,
Could you please advise where the rail lines, wheel are towards 170 ft? I would like to check it out. I've done the cut too many times.
Thanks.

Looking good John!
Did you guys drop down slope from the northern point at Porteau? I ran into the rocky rubble field there last time that I intend to check out more in the future.

No we scootered past the Nakaya for about 5 min on a NW heading until we found the rocky area... then we followed that down to about 150+ ft. There where lots of rocks, presumably from the landslide. Intertwined with that was the old rail way lines and various debris. I came across a cavern at about 130ft that had a line going into it but since we only had about 3 minutes left of bottom time we couldn't explore. Tried finding it again another time and couldn't. We'll be going back when the vis gets better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom