Looking for place to dive in Destin...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TinaMarie

Registered
Reaction score
We're thinking of doing a quick scuba trip over the 4th, and we're considering Destin. We've done drift dives before and enjoyed them.

Any recommendations? My SO likes spearfishing, so a place that allowed that would be best.

TinaMarie:
We're thinking of doing a quick scuba trip over the 4th, and we're considering Destin. We've done drift dives before and enjoyed them.

Any recommendations? My SO likes spearfishing, so a place that allowed that would be best.

I always recommend ScubaTech: http://www.scubatechnwfl.com/

They allow spearfishing, and the captain use to have a commercial fishing license which covered the guests.

Besides ScubaTech, there is also Emerald Coast Scuba that does charters in Destin.

Besides boat dives, the only shore dive there is the "Destin Jetties", which is actually a pretty decent shore dive. But I wouldn't reccomend spear fishing at the Jetties. Lots of other divers and low vis sometimes, and most importantly, not that many spear-able fish (on the trips I've been on)

I just dove with ScubaTech 2 weeks ago and we had a guy on the boat spearfishing, so I know that they still allow it. The Capt. did make sure that he was familar with all of the regulations such as size and species, so do your home work. I agree with the previous poster and would not recomend spearfishing at the Jetties, but they do have lots of BlueCrabs to grab.(be careful they pinch hard. A 3day Florida out of state Fishing Liscense is extremely cheap.( 6 bucks I think.) Emerald Coast Scuba is also a great shop so give them a try. If you dive the Jetties be prepared to haul your gear a very long ways. I bought a cheap 9 dollar inflatable boat and floated my gear down to the Jetties, that worked pretty good. Also the snorkling at the Jetties is pretty kewl. Have a great Time

We dove w/ Scubatech at the end of May. Great outfit, we were actually scheduled to go w/ Emerald Coast Scuba but their boat threw a rod or something to that affect.

The captain was great, the crew fun and knowledgeable and a great boat. The diving wasn't the best. I have not dove much but when your use to the Caribbean and you go diving in Destin, its night and day!

I ditto the words on the jetties. Pretty cool to watch the crabs, find some sand dollars and shells but too many people around to go spearfishing.

Doug

FL state law prohibits the use of a propelled speargun(even polespears) within a certain distance of the jetties. I've heard from one of the guys at ScubaTech that you can use a poke poll w/o bands or a knife to take fish though. Easy enough to knife flounder that way. Just need a liscense.

Dove the jetties yesterday & the vis is much better this week than last. Those tropical storms messing with our diving... the nerve! Anyway, there were no fish you would be able to spear, but it is a nice dive. Definitely check the tide table since the current can be ripping through there (try to go just before high tide when it is slack). We may be able to gather a group to go diving sometime while you are here; that would be fun!

What was the visibility out there? I was working in the area Monday and it looked clearer than I had seen it all year, atleast from the bridge :)

i was going to drop into scubatech on saturday july 2nd to sign up for a boat dive for july 4th or 5th . I would like to hit the jetties on sunday the 3rd if i could hook up with somone or a group who has dove it before. the dive on the third would be early morning based upon the tides i guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom