Looking for opinions on basic camera possibilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RedWingDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

I just wanted to see if anyone would like to weigh in on my choices here. After my debacle with a film camera on a dive last year (camera did not wind properly which led to double and sometimes triple exposures, massive condensation when cracking housing open to replace film, etc), I considered some options for this year.

In my dry land life, I use a Canon Powershot A80, which I like and am totally familiar with since I've had it for years. I'm considering buying a housing for it, which runs me around the $160 range.

Then I saw some "too good to be true" deals. Intova has the IC500, 5 MegaPixel, for less than $100. It actually seems to be on par with my A80 in terms of features, so I thought about that.

Then I saw that there's an IC600, which might even be slightly better than my A80, for about the same price as an A80 housing.

As far as camera use, consider me a "tourist." :) These would be vacation pictures essentially, so I don't need a whole lot. The use would be in Florida/Carribean waters, probably not much more than 60-80' depth, in broad daylight.

I'm almost thinking that any of these three options are good, so I might go for the IC500, but I'd like to hear from anyone familiar with Intovas and people more experienced with fumbling for their cameras on a dive. I haven't seen a whole lot in my board search, and there's virtually nothing on the IC500 here.

Thanks for reading this far! Please feel free to ask me any questions to clarify my needs and wishes!

I’ve not used any Intova cameras, but I’ve read reviews. Most of them say they are good cameras for the price and for those newly starting out in U/W photography. Many of the reviewers stated they would probably move on to something better later. Which, of course, begs the question… Why not just start out with the something better and save the money? IMHO if you are comfortable and familiar with the camera you have, you will probably take better pictures with it underwater. There is a lot to be said for eliminating a learning curve.

I too have read user review saying that the cameras are good and a great value.
I have 2 Pixtreme strobes (same manufacturer) that I'm very happy with.
I've also seen ads for a IC700 a bit higher resolution more features at a slightly higher yet still reasonable cost.

I tried the top of the line Intova for a weekend...added a Ikelite strobe to help with the low light conditions. I took it back.
Take the $$ you would spend on the Intova and invest it in a good camera and housing.
Thats my opinion...even if it is negative...its mine.

Good Luck
O

stick with what you know and are comfortable with. I'd add a strobe as even at that depth and in clear water you're loosing alot of color and light.

As far as camera use, consider me a "tourist." :) These would be vacation pictures essentially, so I don't need a whole lot. The use would be in Florida/Carribean waters, probably not much more than 60-80' depth, in broad daylight.

I will warn you right now- you say "I don't need a whole lot", but to paraphrase Yoda in Star Wars- "YOU WILL!" You stand at the top of a slippery slope, and once you start down, there is no going back. Underwater photography is an absorbing hobby, and it always seems like you need something else to make things "just that much better". Please don't get me wrong- I leapt whole heartedly down that slippery slope long ago, and never looked back. But it always pains me to hear someone say " oh, I am just a tourist and don't need much ":shakehead: As to your specific situation, your present camera is a good place to start, and I would recommend housing it and using it. You have the advantage of being comfortable with it, and that goes a long way. Just don't think that it stops there. "You will see, grasshopper" Woody

Too...true Woodman...too true.

Go for good, not cheap. You'll never be sorry. Canon A series are generally excellent underwater. You already know the camera and will be comfortable shooting with it. Get yourself a housing and don't look back. Your camera has full manual adjustment, adequate resolution and zoom. Most any accessories you add to it will be useful for your next A series, if you decide you want to upgrade. Why buy an inferior product that you won't be able to unload later, when you already have a decent product?

you may want to consider buying a camera that you will be happy with for years to come and then getting a housing for it.this may sound crazy, but i'd hate to be tied to a camera that may be outdated because that's what you have a housing for. granted this is not the cheap way out, but as was said before ... underwater photography is a slippery slope

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom