Looking for Mares wetsuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ze_Abron

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have started diving cold water. Did my 1st dive in Monterey last weekend, lovely! I did it in the rental wetsuit, 7mm farmer john's + 7mm jacket.

Now for someone who had never dived in anything below 80 degrees before, it was a new experience, the size, buoyancy and sheer lack of dexterity was awful. The dive itself (a race through the kelp forest) was AWESOME.

So I am looking to get a wetsuit of my own for Monterey diving (including well into the fall/winter).

Does anyone have any advice on what I should get? Looking online, it looks like a Isotherm 6.5mm semi-dry coupled with a Trilastic 5mm core warmer (with hood) would be ideal.

But since you have the core warmer on underneath (is my assumption correct?), how does this affect the neck seal of the semi-dry? or am I looking at the wrong combination entirely?

Sorry about my newbie question. :)

PS: Does the Isotherm come with a hood?

Last edited:
Abron,
The Semidry wetsuit is unbelievably warm and comfortable. Isotherm is 6.5mm throughout the entire suit, and includes a 1.5mm attached vest (inside). This effectively gives you 8mm in the core, creating extra warmth where needed, yet still providing a level of flexibility in the arm and legs. Isotherm also includes a 6mm hood.

The suit as is, should provide enough thermal protection for most people without the need of additional layering (corewarmer).

Glad you enjoyed your CA experience, I'm sure with a good suit, you'll enjoy it even more!

Best regards,

I own a mares Isotherm and I dive in the seattle area, I have never been cold and I have dove as cold as 48, I would suggest you buy some 3mm socks to wear under your boots.

Thanks! I looked on Leisurepro - they don't seem to have many in stock and none in my size. I wonder where I can try one on in San Jose CA?

Update: Leisurepro say the product is discontinued. Is this true? is there a new model coming out instead?

Last edited:
Hi Ze_Abron:

I actually dive with a Trilastic Isotherm. It's superb at preventing water exchange. My entire chest and back are almost always dry after each dive. I love to dive at Monastery Beach and when you descend past the thermocline, you really feel it. It's just that the neoprene compresses and can't insulate you anymore. My only other issue with the suit is the length of the sleeves. The outter cuffs are mean to go over the gauntlet of your gloves. At least on mine, they're too short.

While it's a bit more difficult to don/doff than the standard farmer/john, with practice it can be done efficiently. With a long lanyard, I don't even need anyone to close/open the zipper.

Like most scuba gear, let your physique dictate your purchase. I weight 127lbs so I'm sure my frame makes me more susceptible to the cold. It does come with a hood.

Claude

Back
Top Bottom