Looking for input on shop to use for PADI TEC 40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may want to contact Don at Deep Exposure Dive Center. While I believe he runs TDI technical courses, he may be able to run PADI Tec courses as well or at least know of someone who does. His shop in my opinion is one of the better equipped for technical diving on island. He has his own compressor, a booster and pumps trimix and oxygen. Most shops on the island have to go through Meridiano 87 for this. I've never taken any training from them but his shop is one of the better equipped to handle gas for technical divers on the island.

I mentioned that I searched for a tech operator in Cozumel a few years ago, and I ended up using Deep Exposure. I joined with a PADI tech (Trimix) class on their dives. The instructor was from Texas, which is where he got his students. They went to Cozumel for their deep dives, and Don let them do them off his boat. So, if you bring your own instructor, you can have a PADI tech class through Deep Exposure. (By the way, through a real coincidence, I ended up at the same dive site as that instructor a year later in New Mexico.)

I watched that class very carefully. The instructor was extremely thorough and demanding. Those students were darn good when they were done.

So if you want to bring your own instructor, I can offer some suggestions.:D

I mentioned that I searched for a tech operator in Cozumel a few years ago, and I ended up using Deep Exposure. I joined with a PADI tech (Trimix) class on their dives. The instructor was from Texas, which is where he got his students. They went to Cozumel for their deep dives, and Don let them do them off his boat. So, if you bring your own instructor, you can have a PADI tech class through Deep Exposure. (By the way, through a real coincidence, I ended up at the same dive site as that instructor a year later in New Mexico.)

I watched that class very carefully. The instructor was extremely thorough and demanding. Those students were darn good when they were done.

So if you want to bring your own instructor, I can offer some suggestions.:D

Isn't there a problem with Norteamericanos working for wages in Mexico without a work visa?

Isn't there a problem with Norteamericanos working for wages in Mexico without a work visa?

You know, I don't know about that, but I imagine that if you are an American instructor working with American students in America and making the transaction there, the fact that you are in Mexico for part of that instruction would make the Mexican issue a non-factor. I have tech students. We do our book work here in Colorado, and I get paid here in Colorado. If we then went to Mexico for some of our dives, I don't think that law would apply.

---------- Post added October 13th, 2015 at 04:19 PM ----------

After writing the above, I realized that what was just described is a common occurrence throughout the world, something I have done a number of times myself. For example...
  • Two years ago I did the pool work and the academic work for two friends in Colorado. We then went to Akumal together, where the local dive shop let me finish the certification while we were diving with them. There was no concern about such laws, and no money exchanged hands in Mexico.
  • A couple of years before that I was in Cozumel as the group leader of a dive trip. I did several certifications for the group while we were there, with the knowledge and blessing of the dive operator. Again, all transactions occurred in the USA.
  • This happens just about any time a group trip goes anywhere in the world. An instructor leading the trip gives someone some sort of certification during the trip.

I cannot understand why you would want to do Tec training while in Cozumel. That totally misses the mark of Cozumel diving.
My husband is a certified tech diver and when we go to Cozumel he never even considers it... Cozumel is all about rec limits for mind blowing reefs, and some crazy wild rides in current with great fishlife.

It doesn't miss the mark at ALL. Cozumels mind blowing reefs don't stop at 130FSW... Nor does "tech" necessarily mean "deep". It's still a tech dive if you cruise those mind blowing reefs at 100FSW for 60 minutes before heading up...

I don't know about PADI tech instructors, but I know that Julio at Aldora Divers teaches PADI classes at some level and is an IANTD tech instructor. He's another who, if he can't train you, might be a resource for a referal.

---------- Post added October 13th, 2015 at 09:06 PM ----------

Just an FYI...

I was talking to Julio tonight, and he tells me that neither he nor any other instructor on Cozumel teaches the PADI Tech xx courses.
I'll still give him my highest recommendation if PADI is not 100% vital.

Well, Dressel who does advertise the PADI TEC courses replied back to me. They do not have the ability to TEC40 on Cozumel. I think that I will begin contacted some of the other certification agencies for possible referrals.

Thanks for trying.

I imagine if you asked the the authorities about doing part of your paid work in Mexico regardless of where the money changed hands, they would tell you it was illegal. I could set up a dive shop in the states, collect all the money there and deliver all of the class in Mexico if were legal. Or about anything else keeping the money out of MX. And with the new banking laws, supposedly MX can get some US info. That being said, just don't ask. it is the Mexico way.

I imagine if you asked the the authorities about doing part of your paid work in Mexico regardless of where the money changed hands, they would tell you it was illegal. I could set up a dive shop in the states, collect all the money there and deliver all of the class in Mexico if were legal. Or about anything else keeping the money out of MX. And with the new banking laws, supposedly MX can get some US info. That being said, just don't ask. it is the Mexico way.

This would definitely fall into the category of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Four people spend $400/pp at your US dive shop to get certified. Perhaps 80% of the course (class work and pool sessions) is done in the US, so about $80/pp or $320 of it is for work done in Mexico.

So now those four people plus their instructor go to Cozumel for a week to do their OW dives. Traveling from Colorado, Five people, three rooms at the Sabor, $6200 for flight, resort, meals and drinks (assuming you left any rum...). Five days of diving with Aldora is going to be another $2500 for the group. Misc stuff... and you're looking at the neighborhood of $10,000 for the trip.

Yes, you could cut expenses in a number of ways, but the point is that worrying over some niggling amount would be foolish.

But I agree. Just do it.

Perhaps 80% of the course (class work and pool sessions) is done in the US, so about $80/pp or $320 of it is for work done in Mexico.
If *I* open a diveshop, I'm NOT coming home to teach. You want me, come to Cozumel! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom