Looking for Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GM350

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm in the navy and I am strongly considering putting in a dive package. Right now I'm deployed to Iraq so resources and information are pretty limited. I have, however been doing as much as I can (which is mostly searching the internet) and have been talking with my command NC to dig up information from various places. Only one question has been left outstanding...

Before I put in a package I want to know what I can expect as far as time away from home, since I have a wife and a young son. I'm not at all looking for a way around deployments, I just want to know what I'm getting into and/or what to expect rather than put in my package blindly. So far, what I have been told was that as a diver I can expect to go places often, but that typically a dive unit will complete a task/training and return home rather than go out for a pre-set amount of time (as in a standard 6 mo. deployment). I was told that the length of these detachments varies... could be 10 days, could be over 2 maybe 3 months.

I'm aware of the sea/shore rotation of 36/48 respectively (or at least that is what the navy website and my NC have both told me).

Does this information sound accurate? Does anyone out there have any input as to what I can expect as far as deployments and what not. Anything you all have will be appreciated. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom