Looking for Info! Trying to charter boat from Roatan to Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DewTheDewDude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello fellow boarders!

I'm heading down to Honduras, the Bay Islands for a few months to do my divemaster course.My sister however will be flying down to visit me during that time. She'll be in Roatan with her SO.

BUT I know they are very keen on checking out Belize's Blue Hole. I was wondering how expensive it would be to charter a vessel from Roatan to Blue hole for a live aboard dive setup. Not sure how long it takes, but we'd only need a few days.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sorry btw, I didn't know which sub-forum to put it in..

Would be a LONG boat ride, plus you would have to check-in at a port in Belize once you entered their waters. There's quite a few people making a visa run via boat to Belize. You'd probably have to line up the live aboard out of Belize. Post your request on Utila Buy & Sell on FB (https://www.facebook.com/groups/116804641783120/)

Hitch a ride with a "cartel" boat. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fly Tropic Air to Belize, go to Ambergris Caye, stay at least one night so that you can get up at 5 a.m. to catch Amigos del Mar boat to Blue Hole and Halfmoon Caye. No big deal, should only cost around $2000-3000 for all 3 of you.

:)

What chilly said...

R/T from Roatan to Ambergris connecting thru Belize City is around $525pp on Tropic. All the same day. Do the dive, maybe book a inland tour the next day to off-gas then fly back.

You might contact Zeppelin and see if that was something they'd be interested in doing from Roatan also. Zeppelin is a sailing yacht that only takes 4, they do most of their charters around Roatan or over to Utila or Cayos Cochinos - all in Honduran waters. Of course the run over to the Blue Hole is a lot farther and obviously more expensive.

I don't even know if they can go to Belize - or want to. Google Maps puts the distance straight across at 96 miles. I have a feeling that takes several days on a sailboat though but I really don't know. Nice thing is they have a compressor on board so no fuss about stopping for tanks. The Blue Hole is pretty popular so there's probably some sort of mooring appointment/fee to be paid also.

Zeppelin Dive & Sail | Private Liveaboard Diving Sailing CaribbeanZeppelin Dive and Sail

Last edited:
That's a wicked low travel time to dive time ratio. (For a dive many people don't consider worth doing even if they're already in Belize.) Just sayin'.

Be advised that the Blue Hole is a big yawn. as one of the divers in my group said, " Just like going down the wall in Gilboa Quarry ". Nothing to see, no fish, no coral, a half hour dive to 130'.
That being said, the other two dives on that trip, Half Moon Wall and Aquarium are gorgeous. Is it worth $300 plus six hours on a boat in rough seas? I wouldn't do it again.

To each there own. I've lost count of how many times ive done the trip. The whole day is spectacular. The great Blue Hole is indeed that. Personally, I enjoy winding through the stellactites. I've had up close and personal interaction with a shark in there though it's unlikely to happen again. Most folks go to the rope or hanging tanks area and put in a dull stop whereas I do my stop in the sand and coral rubble communing with little crabs, Pedersen cleaning shrimp, gobies and more. This geologic history always leaves me in awe of our world. But hey, that's just me. :wink:

WOW, I could think of so many other ways to spend $3000-$4000 diving doing just incredible things to burn through that amount of money before spending it on something so over-hyped like the blue hole. If money is no object then more power to you. Personally if you're already in Roatan you could invest 3-4K in an ultimate private diving charter going anywhere and everywhere you wanted to dive privately diving however you wanted to. You could circumnavigate Roatan and dive sites and explore places never dived before on your own private dive expedition. I'd do something like that long before I'd ever invest that kind of cabbage in the blue hole dive.

Back
Top Bottom