Looking for info on house reefs diving, hotels, food and best areas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although i agree in principle with @Sunn i would like to expand on the picture: This is a satellite view of the marina in Soma Bay and the Kempinsky. Of course, you won't have much fun diving there. And no one does.
But: The Breakers with dive site Abu Soma is only a few minutes away, dive site Tobia Aarba as well.
I agree that infrastructure has often been built at the expense of nature.
It is in all cases very sensible to have a look at a satellite view of where you are going. Taking this example, you can clearly spot which hotels will have the better house reef options and which ones will rather accommodate for sun adept...
PS: i hope i managed to add the sat view of the Breakers with its jetty.
upload_2021-9-13_14-17-24.png

As per the other thread, Marsa Shagra has a nice house reef. Here is a film not shot by me, but made public on YT, that allegedly was shot on the Marsa Shagra house reef during eight dives over three days in January 2019. Never mind the whale shark. It happens once or twice a year. As do a pod of dolphins.

EDIT, however I realise very late in the thread, that you're looking for a place for 1-2 days, prior to departing a liveaboard from Hurghada ... so this is a 3 hour car ride from Hurghada along the coast, so it will consume a day going forth and back. Perhaps for the post liveaboard trip. It is very relaxed and comfortable, but not resort luxury, which you might be looking for after a week at sea?

Although i agree in principle with @Sunn i would like to expand on the picture: This is a satellite view of the marina in Soma Bay and the Kempinsky. Of course, you won't have much fun diving there. And no one does.

View attachment 681676

well done, JustSurfaceInterval ! :eyebrow:

I didn't mention the place, as I didn't want to denigrate the hotel... but you found it ! And of course the Breakers is more interesting for a diver looking for a house reef.

@Sunn i don't think it's denigrating the hotel. It's just another target group.
We had a common full moon party at the kite house (Breakers & Kempinski guests) and believe me, it was absolutely obvious who belongs to where...:D

a note on where to stay: hwo much time do you want to spend travelling? Marsa Alam (the city, not the airport), is between 3:30h and 4h drive, Wadi Lahami is 5h. Sharm El Sheikh is on the other side of the Red Sea on the Sinai peninsula; the latest info I have is that the ferry is still not running so you need to fly. If your intend for the first 2 days is just to get accomodated and get in some set up dives, I would recommend stay close to Hurgada e.g. in Makdi Bay or Soma Bay and head further south after the LOB.
Yes, this is the current idea we have. We thought to do a few prep dives near Hurghada and then after the LOB, either stay around Soma Bay area or head all the way towards Marsa Alam/Lahami
We noticed the ferry issue and do not want to fly again, so we eliminated the Sinai peninsula area for this trip.

If we do the above ^, which areas, hotels and dive center do you recommend? Any of the local house reefs good diving or it's really the day trips that are the highlights?

Once upon a time.... there were virgin coasts, with a reef, and one day came a rich investor, then cranes, bulldozers, even sometimes dynamite (I've seen it) and it ended with a brand new resort with, of course, a dive center and a nice marina.

View attachment 681645

Do you think the house reef is still pristine ?

Some, like The Breakers, respected the coast (more or less), but most of them in the past did what seemed the easiest way.... and were even not conscious there was a marine life.

KK I get what you are saying.

Yes, this is the current idea we have. We thought to do a few prep dives near Hurghada and then after the LOB, either stay around Soma Bay area or head all the way towards Marsa Alam/Lahami
We noticed the ferry issue and do not want to fly again, so we eliminated the Sinai peninsula area for this trip.

If we do the above ^, which areas, hotels and dive center do you recommend? Any of the local house reefs good diving or it's really the day trips that are the highlights?
Not the bets person to ask as I usually do 2 week LOBs :)

Check Makadi Bay for your first two days, the house reef is not the greatest but well suited for setup dives, then head south.

Roots Camp Red Sea has a house reef that was decent. It is located outside of El Quseir which is between Hurghada and Marsa Alam. About 132 km from Hurghada and about 87 km from Marsa Alam.

It is a camp with various types of accommodations from eco huts to deluxe. There is a great pool and family style dining. Good food and other excursions available. I had a nice chalet room that was very comfortable. So it does include driving. We did it as part of a two week trip that started in Cairo and ended in Luxor. There were a few planes and vans included in that trip.

The Pharaoh Dive Club is on site. The house reef is actually an easy walk across the street to the sea. The dangers being scorpions and watching for any sign of a truck on the horizon. Easy entry. We saw a variety of sea life. Roots also provided us with day trips to catch zodiacs from the docks at El Quseir and one trip to do Elphinstone at Marsa Alam. They also transported us to Luxor at the end of the visit.

This may not be what you are looking for. Thought I'd mention it because I really enjoyed the stay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom