Looking for identity confirmation of these two vintage double hose regs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peege

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The first I believe is a DW - Mistral, and with serial number in the 207k should be from the Warner Ave long hose distribution. Looks to have a Kleer-EZ straight mouthpiece, long yoke, and guessing was 1967 ?
dw mistral label.jpg dw mistral mouthpiece.jpg dw mistral yoke.jpg dw mistral.jpg

And the second I believe is a Royal Aqua-Master, serial number in the 124k with round label, "tire" yoke with newer logo. Use of seven case clips and not the case band option, looks to be another Kleer-EZ straight mouthpiece, and prior to the 3000 yoke option. I am guessing this is in the 1970-1972 range, possibly closer to the later?
royal aquamaster label.jpg royal aquamaster mouthpiece.jpg royal aquamaster yoke.jpg royal aquamaster.jpg

Both are in remarkably good condition, surprisingly since I think they have the original hoses with not a single sign of dry rot, cracking, or otherwise and the mouthpieces are still supple. I hooked them up on air and they work but the Royal needs a service as its out of tune.

Hoping some vintage double hose experts here can confirm my research? Thank you.

You are correct except we refer to the mouthpiece as the curved MP. This is of course assuming that the internals are original and match the labels.

You can verify that the Royal Aqua Master is indeed a RAM and not a DA Aqua Master by the spacing between the yoke and the body. If there is about an 1/8", it is a RAM. If it is fairly tight, it is DAAM, and what we refer to as a Frankenstein regulator. It is not likely since it does look original, but a picture from the side (not straight from the back) will verify that.

I assume you got most of the identifying information from VintageDoubleHose.com. If not, you can go there and find a section with specific information on how to identify those regulators, including how to date them.

---------- Post added December 31st, 2015 at 10:48 PM ----------

If you go to the link below and follow the US Divers information, you will find more specifics about those two regulators. You can download PDF files with history information for both regulators.

Regulator Identification - Vintage Double Hose

Thank you and Happy New Year Luis H,
I have not taken them apart, and apologies I am not familiar with all the terminology. Do these pics offer further RAM identity you commented on?

RAM side.jpg RAM side2.jpg RAM side3.jpg

Thanks for your help and maybe see you on the other site. Happy diving!

Yep, that is definitely a RAM. They both look like it is all original, but we have seen a lot of weird stuff.

It is hard to tell from the pictures, but it does look like the clips have been removed at least once, probably to service. But again it is hard to tell from just looking at pictures.

To open them you want to use the newer technique using a Vise-grip or similar tool to grab the sides of the clips and pull them while rotating them forward. There is a lot written about the technique and there are a couple of variations on the preferred tool.

Back
Top Bottom