Looking for hotel for near male and gaafu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blammo78

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We will be staying one week near Male and one week near Koodoo.

The middle of our trip will be back to back liveaboards leaving Male and finishing in Koodoo. We are looking for a recommendation for a place to stay in both areas

Every place looks so beautiful it’s hard to choose.

We’d like a good house reef and rooms to be on the beach.

TIA

We will be staying a week near male and a week near gaafu and would like a recommendation for a resort and dive shop.

Any can’t miss things to see?

We will be doing a two week liveaboard from Male to Gaafu in January.

There is no resort in Male, only hotels, thus for a real resort you'll have to go to a near island, for example Vihamanafushi or Furanafushi, the 2 closest islands, or further like South Male Atoll. There are resorts everywhere around, and boat transportation is very easy, but I can't recommend any, as I'm always on liveaboard in Maldives... one week in a resort on such little islands, it's to become mad (imagine you walk around the whole island in 20 min...) o_O

Just arrived home from the Maldives. We decided to stay a night at a hotel in Hulhumalé before flying home.

There's nothing to see there.
It's an industrial wasteland, interspersed with hotels.
Very expensive.
Keep your expectations very low, and you won't be disappointed.

Here is where we stayed. It was a tiny place. The rooms are tiny. The hallways are narrow. It was very clean. There are several decent places to eat within 1/2 block.

Just about to head home from 12 day trip, 7 nights liveaboard the rest on Biyadhoo Island Resort. 30 mins (somewhat pricey) speedboat from the airport. Has a house reef and dive centre and stunning snorkeling beach with turtles, blacktip sharks, and eagle rays. Easy swim to the drop off where the corals and life intensify with depth. Life is best found diving, which is done 2 morning or 1 afternoon dive by Dhoni to excellent South Male sites (the ones visited by liveaboards passing through, as I also did). Accom is a little basic but if you get a ground floor room it will open to a secluded section of beach. It's a stunning island, somewhat different to the water bungalow style resorts that dominate the views nowadays. I'd avoid staying on or near Male itself. Agree with above post, yes there is diving, but very industrial otherwise. There are many resorts you can reach in an hour non a boat.

I haven't been to the Maldives so I can't vouch for this place but I was daydreaming about staying here. Only 15 minute speedboat ride from the airport!

Hulhumalé island makes sense for a day or 2 when in transit. Not the place if you’re looking for a beachy resort for a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom