Looking for horn sharks in Baja California & Sonora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am old - my reference books are old..or even older

On occasion in the scientific world names are changed -- I never knew why or questioned why ?
Perhaps you can confer with one of your professors about the name

Where are you academically ? I suspect some where between Bachelors and Doctorate
No matter where - Good Luck!
'
SAM
I'm currently working on my PhD, and horn sharks are my study organism! I'm working primarily with horn sharks in the eastern Pacific (California Horn Shark - Heterodontus francisci, Mexican Horn Shark - Heterodontus mexicanus, and the Galapagos Horn Shark - Heterodontus quoyi).

There are taxonomic rules, guidelines, and even loose "regulations." The point of these rules is to keep some kind of taxonomic continuity...if people all refer to the same organism by five different names, a simple scientific conversation or correspondence can become a nightmare! The oldest valid names take priority; sometimes multiple people/researchers will identify and name a species over the years, and in that case the oldest name is given priority.

Sometimes it's necessary to completely reorganize or rearrange the taxonomic classification of an organism, like how megalodon has jumped around from one genus to another (Carcharodon --> Carcharocles --> Megaselachus, etc.).

Some taxonomic resources online will list most or all of the scientific names for an organism throughout the years. I think Leonard Compagno may do this for different shark species. This one is a good example:

Synonyms of Heterodontus francisci (Girard, 1855)

IMPORTANTE UPDATE :

It seems that we had to wait a little bit for the horn sharks to show up! We started to see larger numbers of them like one month ago, and these days we are seeing them very frequently here in Loreto. In every occasion we have spotted them in rocky and rubbly bottoms, 18 to 25 meters deep (never shallow). So far we only have spotted the Californian Horn Shark.
Very good looking and chill creature, it's fantastic to see them around again!

Image below:

Imgur
kCL1S0F

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom