Looking for honest opinions on the Hollis F1 fin vs. the Mares Power Plana fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tothedepths

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking into buying a stiff, heavy, wider bladed fin that can come close the Scuba Pro Jet fin as far as their propulsion and easy maneuverability. Any advice will help but I am leaning more towards the Hollis F1 or the Mares Power Plana fins and need more advice before I make my final decision. thanx in advance.

What are you trying to accomplish? If you need pinpoint accuracy while turning, back finning, etc., while in an overhead environment, then the jets will still work just fine, as will the Hollis F1's. If you're looking for a little more speed, such as against a current, Avanti Power planas (or quattros) work well... anything is faster than jets.

... anything is faster than jets.

I use XL-jets and I get more speed and propulsion than any plastic fins. No comparison!

---------- Post added November 10th, 2014 at 11:17 PM ----------

I am looking into buying a stiff, heavy, wider bladed fin that can come close the Scuba Pro Jet fin as far as their propulsion and easy maneuverability. Any advice will help but I am leaning more towards the Hollis F1 or the Mares Power Plana fins and need more advice before I make my final decision. thanx in advance.

I use Jets for wetsuit diving and F-1s for drysuit. F1s take the drysuit boot very well. They are floppier than the jets but do not compromise on the propulsion to any noticeable level. I would also recommend that you look into XS turtles. I have never had the chance to use them but from the pictures I feel they would be a better drysuit fin than the F1s. I wish someone who has used both F1 and Turtles would chime in and offer a comparison that would be beneficial to both of us.

Dove Mares Avanti Quatros as my first fin for ~70 dives. Demoed the Power Planas and the Hollis F1, and I now dive the F1s. In my mind the Power Planas were nothing special and felt almost identical to my Avanti Quatros. Everytime I kicked with the Planas, I could feel the middle tip bend slightly and I really didn't feel anything special in terms of control or power. F1's were the complete opposite, amazing power and control. I can't even dive my Avanti Quatros anymore, it is that much night and day.

Dove Mares Avanti Quatros as my first fin for ~70 dives. Demoed the Power Planas and the Hollis F1, and I now dive the F1s. In my mind the Power Planas were nothing special and felt almost identical to my Avanti Quatros. Everytime I kicked with the Planas, I could feel the middle tip bend slightly and I really didn't feel anything special in terms of control or power. F1's were the complete opposite, amazing power and control. I can't even dive my Avanti Quatros anymore, it is that much night and day.

This summarizes my own experience of plastic fins vs rubber compound fins.

What are you trying to accomplish? If you need pinpoint accuracy while turning, back finning, etc., while in an overhead environment, then the jets will still work just fine, as will the Hollis F1's. If you're looking for a little more speed, such as against a current, Avanti Power planas (or quattros) work well... anything is faster than jets.

I want to have great maneuverability as well as good power for pushing doubles, or pulling in someone from the surface. I want the best of both worlds. I am looking at the Power Planas and the F1's because I want a negatively buoyant, rubber fin that will last and deliver what I want. I believe that the F1's will give me what I want. I'm just getting other opinions and info from other people who have used these fins before

I have been diving Jets for years, and recently bought a pair of Power Plana fins.
The Power Plana fins have a little bit bigger foot pocket than my Jets (XL), so I use them when diving dry most of the time.

Power Plana fins feel very much like Jet fins for frog kick, back kicking, and fine control.
They are better than Jets for flutter kicking.

I also own Avanti Quattro + fins for travel fins.

I have some Dive Rite fins also, just to give a frame of reference for what my preferences are.

A buddy of mine bought the Hollis F1 fins, because he hated the way Jet fins felt. He couldn't stand the foot pockets.

I tried his F1 fins for a couple of dives, but I preferred my Jets. To me, the F1 felt a little bit more floppy (it is a longer fin).

So much really comes down to feel and personal preference.

To be honest, I could get used to just about any solid feeling fin.

Cheers,
Mitch

As you can see there are lot of opinions... to each their own. But, if you truly want a heavy, stiff rubber fin, the Jets fill the bill. However, here is a thread that really gave the thumbs up to the Power Planas...
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fins-masks-snorkels/471249-review-mares-power-plana-fins.html

Personally I used jets for years... just because that's what was suggested to me at the time, and I never questioned it. My fins of choice are Quattros and the Dive Rite EXP's... I just prefer a lighter fin. When spearfishing I wear freedive fins, even with a tank on my back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom