looking for good entry level camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an amateur photographer I bought the Sea and Sea MX-10. What a great camera which is easy to use. Many of my photos were better than friends using way more expensive cameras with years of experience. Digial is dicey, you need at least a 5.0 pixel to really get photos equal to print cameras, and the 5.0 is more than you want to spend.

I borrowed a Sea And Sea MX5 for a couple of hols, the photos on the link were taken with it last year, bear in mind I had only used it once before.

For a film camera its cheap cheerful and gives OK results, I think in the US you can pick them up for about $180. They seem pretty robust which is always a plus!

http://www.johnralston.com/malta2002/index.html

I now have a Olympus 4040z with PT010 housing, It's a serious learning curve :)

John R

I don't own this but have been eyeing it as a way to get into u/w photography cheaply; it's a fully automatic camera with a "real" strobe. Ikelite has details on their website. I'm pretty sure Adorama and B&H have it for under $300 for the whole kit, while the bare camera itself is a bit over $100.

We to have taken pics with the Sea & Sea MX5II...here's a link to view the pics. http://www.savannahscuba.net/photomain.html . We to are upgrading to the Olymp C4040Z digital. Only because I'm ready for the upgrade. We've gotten quality pics with the MX5II, for the money invested.

Take care.

Andrea
Savannah, Ga.

PS...for moderators, Savannah Scuba is not a dive shop, we are a group of divers out of Savannah, Ga. We've been mistaken for a dive shop and have had posts removed because of this error.

Add me to those recommending a Sea&Sea MX-10, if its not out of your price range. I, too, went through the fun (see headache) of researching cameras about 1 1/2 years ago. Since purchasing, I have had the opportunity to take pictures in Aruba and Key Largo and got some great shots. Usually, if there was a problem, it was my fault (not the camera's). Just remember to take lots and lots of pics. Overall, film is cheap while that one great shot can be priceless.

Back
Top Bottom