looking for good entry level camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coolfish5

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for a good entry level camera. I am not by anymeans good at photography. I am looking for an easy to use camera film or digital that is relatively inexpensive.
I am going to be making a 3 week trip to jamaica where I will mostly be doing shallow water snorkle/dives and looking to get some pictures.
I would also consider used cameras if anyone has a used but in good shape camera that they upgraded away from.
Also is there any comparison of picture quality on the various cheap U/W cameras?
What is a good place online or otherwise to purchase such a camera from?
I also have access to an Olympus D-450 digital, would it be better to purchase a housing? or just go with a new unit. The olympus is a kinda permanently borrowed from a friend. Its only 1.3megapix tho.
Thanks for your time and feedback.
-John

My suggestion is to get a digital camera - the instant feedback will help you learn quicker. Plus once you've paid for the memory card you won't have any on going film processing cost. Since you want something inexpensive you will be limited to cameras that have OEM housing like Olympus, Canon and Sony.

If you decide to go digital then try and get a camera that's at least 3 megapix.

You'll need to decide whether you want a full auto camera or one that gives you some degree of manual control (aperture or shutter priority and full manual). If you do not plan to add a strobe at a later date then full auto will do. It'll be easier to use and is great for point-and-shoot photography. The Sony P5, P7, P9 and the Olympus Stylus 300 and 400 are some examples that fall into this category.

If you intend to get into more advanced photography then you will need to consider manual control, options to add an external strobe and external lenses. They can be more complicated to use but will give you greater creative control over your photos. The Olympus Cx0x0, C40, C50 and Canon S45 are some exmaples.

You might be able to get discontinued, used or refurbished cameras quite cheap if you look around.

those olympus seem to run ~$300 for camera +_ $200 for housing. Thats a bit out of my price range.
I know I've seen lots of cameras (complete) for under $200, I know these aren't digital but that would be more affordable. Are there some that are complete crap and not worth anything at all? Or are all of them prety much you get what you pay for? I just want something somewhat better than the $10 disposable ones. This again will be shallow snorkling/dive at most 30ft or so I'm told.
Thanks
-John

If even the cheapest digital route is out of your price range, you might consider something like a Sea & Sea MX-5. You'll get point and shoot quality... slightly better than disposable pictures, plenty of backscatter. And don't forget to figure in film, processing and printing expenses each time you use it.

Do a search for starter cameras and you'll find lots of previous discussions on the various starter film cameras.

I bought one of these off ebay, and it does the job. There's always a bunch of them for sale - search for underwater camera.

It works best in shallower water as you do tend to get some backscatter with the built in flash, but I have had it down 90+ feet and it took usable pictures and functioned without a problem.

I used it to take this picture just last week at 55 feet with 400 film. I'll be posting a few more in the gallery later if you want to look at the quality.

Marc

Hmmm, the file didn't attach. I think it was too big, but I didn't get an error message.

Let's try again.

And this one.

hey FLL Diver.
Thats about what I was in the budget for, something simple to use, nothing fancy and not too expensive. If I get a few nice pictures it'll be good.
Does anyone have a compairison of this camera to things such as the reef master and sea&sea cameras? Or are the all prety much equivalent till you get up to the expensive ones?
Thanks
-John

Rodale's did a review of these types of cameras within the last year. I don't remember what issue it was in but you could search their site for it. It was specific to starter cameras. Good luck. My wife and I started with the Sea & Sea MX-10s for about four years or so and have graduated to an Olympus C-5050z for me and my wife to a Nikonos V.

The reefmaster with the strobe, and I only paid 300bucks for the whole kit 2 years ago. I have yet to get anywhere nice to take some pics and find out what it can do, with the strobe, it does pretty well in the muck of OH diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom